[Vision2020] Avista & Trees

Saundra Lund sslund at roadrunner.com
Thu Jun 28 15:02:04 PDT 2007

Visionaries:

We received a postcard from Avista in today's mail -- I don't know if this
is what they've always done (I don't recall getting a postcard like this
before) or if this is a change.  In any case, I thought I'd put the text
here for discussion, comments, suggestions, etc.

"Avista Utilities Line Clearance
Tree Trimming Notice

Line clearance tree maintenance is scheduled for your area during the next
few months.

TREE TRIMMING - In yards, ornamental trees will be trimmed 10 feet from the
wires.  Branches and tree tops will be chipped.  Wood over 4 inches in
diameter will be left.

Herbicide application will be made to small "volunteer" trees that are
growing wild along roadsides, alleys, behind garages and unmaintained areas.

TREE REMOVALS - Along roadsides, county and state right-of-way, and
unmaintained areas, all tall growing trees that are within 10-15 feet either
side of the wire will be cut down.  Stumps of deciduous trees will be
treated to prevent resprouting.  Branches and treetops will be chipped.
Wood over 4 inches in diameter will be left.  In areas inaccessible to our
equipment, the branches and tops will be lopped and scattered along the
right-of-way corridor in pieces smaller than 3 feet long.

In rural areas, any leaning or visibly dead, diseased or dying trees that
could pose a threat to the wires will be felled and left on site.  Sorry, no
clean-up will take place for dead trees.

Please contact the Forestry Department message line as 1-800-727-9170,
extension 8514 if you have any questions, would like to discuss the work, or
would like a load of wood chips."

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.