[Vision2020] Sending Large Files (was: Crystal Cave)

Ken kmmos at moscow.com
Thu Jun 28 00:31:55 PDT 2007

On Tuesday 26 June 2007 16:26, Sue Hovey wrote:
> Glad you enjoyed them.  I thought they were so much above the usual stuff
> I often get that I forwarded them to Vision, which was a major mistake
> because I got emails from a couple of folks whose machines I gummed up
> with the large file.  I wish there were some way to filter material such
> as this so it wouldn't go through a dial up modem but would go on to
> those with the capability to download it easily.

There is a way to filter such material. The way is to allow the potential
recipient of the material decide whether or not it is too large to receive.

> When we are doing our
> winter vacation out of Moscow I have to use dial up and know very well
> how much trouble a big file causes me.  Even large teacher files
> containing student worksheets, etc. will cause my download to take
> forever.  Is there a reasonable solution to this problem?

Yes. The reasonable solution is to upload large files to a server computer,
then allow the potential recipient to decide whether to click on the link
the sender sends to the recipient to initiate downloading the large file.

"Where is this server computer?" you ask. There may be multiple answers to
this question, but one answer is apparent from your e-mail address at
moscow.com, which is provided by First Step Internet. Each dial-up customer
of First Step Internet has 10 megabytes of free web space available for
their use. So, you could upload the material to the First Step web server,
create a link to the material, then send the very small link, rather than
the entire large file, to the potential recipients.

To see how to get started with this solution, go to http://www.fsr.com and
click on the word support in the dark blue bar, then click on the link
labeled Your Personal Webspace, and then read the information at the links
there. First Step technical support may be able to assist you with whatever
may not be clear about the information on their web site.

Ken Marcy