[Vision2020] More on King of Morocco

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Tue Jun 26 08:04:44 PDT 2007

Greetings:

I thought I would share some responses to my column on Morocco from NewWest.

I would also recommend a gripping book by Malika Oufkir "Stolen Lives" (2001) about how her family of seven endured 20 years in prison under King Hassan II, the new king's father.

Signing off for a week as we drive to Cache Bar on the Salmon River.

Nick Gier

Posted by: KC
Email: kaycam at aol.com

Response
Just returned on the staff of a two week tour of Morocco with a group of American women, with ages ranging from mid-20's to 70's. This was my second tour to Morocco. I was astounded and thrilled to see that the young king's wife, known as 'Lalla Salma', appears unveiled, wearing pant suits, with her red hair uncovered in public at charitable events she supports. In the spice souq in Marrakesh, I noticed one merchant had an informal family snapshot of them - again, her hair uncovered, with the children, wearing pants.

Having lived in Saudi Arabia for many years, I always look at the public role of women as a barometer of social affairs. Clearly things are changing, and the example is obviously from the top.

All around us, we saw more young and older women taking up modern dress, or sporting interesting mixes of traditional and modern. While I usually cover my hair in the MIddle East to be less conspicuous, this trip I did not, to 'vote with my head' in support of social reforms that somehow, uncovered hair, represents.

Overall, we found the Moroccan's to be friendly and good-humored. They seemed to be honestly delighted by all of us, smiles would break out when they took in all of us  - from our white bobs to our blonde 'rasta' locks. Ladies and girls would wave back at us on our bus, and we had lots of fun interacting with the Moroccan women we encountered along the way.

Those of us who speak Arabic were really welcomed warmly. A few merchants wanted to talk politics, but mostly, they were just happy to do business, to tell us about their cousins in America whose daughters play basketball, and to share a good laugh. In Fez, right next to the ancient Karawiyin Library where Um Kulthum and Maimonides studied, I stopped in for a coffee and a moment to do some journaling. As I left, I looked up and noticed a huge framed photo of Mount Rushmore on the wall.  [Gail and I saw pictures of the Tetons in a school that we visited.)

Only now, will I go and rent the DVD 'Babel'.......

Posted by: Craig Moore
Email: mtantelop at aol.com

Response
The late King Hassan II had owned an estate in New Jersey.  A friend of mine was a neighbor of the King and met with him several times as a guest.  When cultures have the opportunity to interact in peaceful, non-threatening environments change is envitable.  Perhaps King Mohammed VI was influenced by his forward thinking father and time spent in America.