[Vision2020] love for police

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Sun Jun 24 21:46:08 PDT 2007

Greetings:

Before I address the issues of the police union
and right-to-work-for-less, I would like to
clarify some points that Schwaller made about my
union (the AFT) and teachers applying for
unemployment benefits.  The AFT is requesting
this only on the part of what we call
"paraprofessionals," many of whom have part-time
or temporary status.  Our request does not at all
apply to full-time classroom teachers.

Schwaller was also incorrect to assume that the
AFT/IFT is the union for Idaho's K-12
teachers.  It's Sue Hovey's IEA/NEA.  When we got
started in 1974, the IEA was well established and
was doing a good job of representing Idaho's
teachers.  The AFT has its strength at the higher
education level where we are the faculty union on all six campuses.

With declining union membership nearly
everywhere, it is significant to note that
between them the AFT and NEA represent 75 percent
of the nation's teachers.  Those who say that
unionized teachers are the reason why America's
students do so poorly have to explain why the
students of highly unionized teachers around the
world do so much better than our
students.  Instead of 16,000 different school
districts and their lay boards, most of these
countries have highly centralized and fully
professional educational administration.

My understanding is that the vote for the police
union was unanimous, so that makes the issue of
involuntary membership a moot point.  The
principles of representative democracy dictate
that the party or union that wins the election
represents everyone in the district or bargaining
unit.  One should be required to pay taxes or union dues for services rendered.

It is my understanding, and Roger can correct me
if I'm wrong, but every Idaho farmer has to pay
an annual fee to his commodity group in order to
sell his crop.  Why aren't those
right-to-work-for-less people, funded by right
wingers like Coors Brewery, protecting the
Idaho's farmer's right to sell?  Go figure!

If you survey all the right-to-work states, you
will find that without exception they have the
lowest wages and the least protection for their workers.

Solarity forever!

Nick Gier, President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO

Sue Hovey wrote:
>When Nancy Chaney and Linda Pall voted against
>the police request for unionization, it seemed a
>violation of what I thought they stood for.  For
>me, it was one of those telling acts which
>clearly define who they are. I would probably
>not vote for either of them again. Roger, I
>think your memory of the events is correct.
>(Your other posting) That's the way I remember
>it, too. As a member of the IEA (teachers'
>union) I worked with those who chose not to
>join, and even though I often respected them as
>teachers, I resented their being freeloaders
>while the rest of us paid their way.  And more
>than once non-members got into trouble and only
>then came asking for membership forms.  Legally
>we had to let them join and then defend them. We
>also had to defend non-members if their
>grievance fell within the guidelines of the
>negotiated grievance procedure.  I think a
>couple of court decisions have adjusted that
>mandate somewhat to protect the union
>financially. Sue H. ----- Original Message -----
>From: "lfalen" <lfalen at turbonet.com> To: "Tom
>Ivie" <the_ivies3 at yahoo.com>;
><vision2020 at moscow.com> Sent: Thursday, June 21,
>2007 3:44 PM Subject: Re: [Vision2020] love for
>police > My view is that anyone should be able
>to join what ever group the want, > union or
>otherwise. No one should be forced to join a
>union as a condition > of employment. If
>individual members of the police force wanted to
>join a > union they should have been able to.
>Those that do not want to should not > be t
>required to do so. > > Roger > -----Original
>message----- > From: Tom Ivie
>the_ivies3 at yahoo.com > Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007
>14:56:06 -0700 > To: vision2020 at moscow.com >
>Subject: [Vision2020] love for police > >> I
>like the way everyone professes their gratitude
>to the police now but >> not when the police
>wanted to do something "radical" like
>unionizing. It >> amazes me to hear some of the
>same people say that they love the police >>
>when they or groups they associate with actively
>worked to squash the >> Police
>Union. >>          To my knowledge, the police
>donÂ’t usually ask for a lot.  I >> never hear
>them complain. Yet, the one time they speak up
>about something >> they do want, we shut them
>down. Maybe the issues they wanted a union
>for >> have been resolved, I donÂ’t
>know. >> >>  It just strikes a nerve with me to
>hear “we love them so much” out of >> one side
>of the mouth and “no union for you” out of the
>other side.  They >> give and we take?  Why
>canÂ’t they give and we give back to them.  Is
>the >> love for the police and hate (by some)
>for their unionization a mutually >> exclusive
>bipartition dichotomy or a logical
>fallacy?  Discussion? >> >> >> Tom & Liz
>Ivie >> >> --------------------------------- >>
>Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts the
>Internet in your pocket: mail, >> news, photos &
>more. >> > >
>Release Date: 6/22/2007 > 3:04 PM > >
> [...]

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the
application of it to human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates
in human beings who represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of
any system cannot be discovered by dividing it
into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed
on the whole and on the interconnection between
the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut
between science, religion, and art. The whole is
never equal simply to the sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm