[Vision2020] love for police

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Sun Jun 24 15:10:55 PDT 2007

When Nancy Chaney and Linda Pall voted against the police request for
unionization, it seemed a violation of what I thought they stood for.  For
me, it was one of those telling acts which clearly define who they are. I
would probably not vote for either of them again.

Roger, I think your memory of the events is correct. (Your other posting)
That's the way I remember it, too.

As a member of the IEA (teachers' union) I worked with those who chose not
to join, and even though I often respected them as teachers, I resented
their being freeloaders while the rest of us paid their way.  And more than
once non-members got into trouble and only then came asking for membership
forms.  Legally we had to let them join and then defend them. We also had to
defend non-members if their grievance fell within the guidelines of the
negotiated grievance procedure.  I think a couple of court decisions have
adjusted that mandate somewhat to protect the union financially.

Sue H.