[Vision2020] Let's all be offended

Glenn Schwaller vpschwaller at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 18:28:47 PDT 2007

Well, DR Campbell, if anyone had bothered to let me know you were a DR
I would certainly have referred to you as DR Campbell.  When you
replied to my post in which I considered abortion as a form of
holocaust, you signed "Joe Campbell".  I didn't see DR Joe Campbell,
Joe Campbell PHD, or anything indicating you had any degree
whatsoever.  Guess my crystal ball was on the fritz that day.  If
anything, you should possibly have been miffed at the fact I addressed
you as Mr Campbell instead of Mr / Ms Campbell, since you could very
well have been a Josephine.

As far as poop bombs, I considered my statement on polygamy being a
progression in what constitutes "marriage" as a valid topic for
discussion.  You made a rather illogical jump by assuming I was
attributing plural marriage as next in a sequence of marriage
progression, following gay marriage.  In terms of hot-button
discussions of the topic this may be the case, but I would assert that
in a "progression of the marriage movement", gay marriage would come
dead last.  The first gay marriage was performed in Copenhagen in
1989.  The first gay marriage in the US was performed in Massachusetts
in 2004, following those in Copenhagen, Belgium, Ontario, British
Columbia, and Quebec.  This was more than 40 years after Loving v
Virginia in 1958, addressing the topic of interracial marriage.  And
more than 170 years after the first documented plural marriage in
1833.  So to assume the progression is gay marriage to polygamy is,
well, illogical, is it not?  If not illogical, then certainly invalid.

I'm not sure why you found the article on polygamy to be an offensive
post, unless as you say, there are two explanations.  I assume you are
not overly sensitive (although you do seem to fly off the handle with
some regularity), since your post to Roger wanted to focus on the
second possibility: "the comments are in fact offensive just not
offensive to you; since they don't offend your own beliefs you don't
notice the offense."   I believe abortion is immoral and polygamy
should be legalized; you don't.  But instead of making an "attempt to
dialogue" you play the "my beliefs are offended" card.  This makes my
position globally offensive just because it offends your personal
beliefs??  And you call yourself a liberal / progressive??

I intended the article on polygamy to generate some discussion on the
issue; an "attempt to dialogue" if you will, since it certainly seems
to be a topic of interest elsewhere.  Maybe just not on the Palouse,
not ever.

Glenn