[Vision2020] Sam Harris, Buddhism, and Atheism

nickgier at adelphia.net nickgier at adelphia.net
Wed Jun 13 17:56:40 PDT 2007

Hi Sue,

According to Sam Harris, the Buddha did not start a new religion because his
message was simply a humanistic philosophy summed up in his last words: "I've given you the Dharma [the way to the overcome rebirth]; now work out your own salvation."

This may be technically and historically correct, just as it may well be true
that Jesus did not wish to found a new religion, but simply prepare his
disciples for the imminent coming of the Kingdom of God.  I still think that
this is actually what Jesus believed, but Christians disagree with me on that
and I have no right to tell them otherwise.

The facts are these:  followers of the Buddha and Jesus deified their prophets
and developed elaborate doctrines and rituals to honor them and to attain
salvation in their names.

This is historical Buddhism and historical Christianity, and to say that they
are not new religions different from Hinduism and Judaism is to disrespect their
histories and traditions.

Nick Gier