[Vision2020] Follow up - Islam the religion of peace!

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 11 18:00:43 PDT 2007

Andreas writes:

  "Over 150 times more Americans died during World War II than have died
to terrorists since the beginning of the 20th century. Your comparison
is insulting to both the people that gave their lives fighting fascism
in WWII and to basic principles of reason."

  Your dishonesty knows know bounds and frightens me Andreas. I never compared WWII to the current war in Iraq in terms of magnitude. Please discontinue your hyperbole strawman arguments as the premise for each of your arguments. We are not in a courtroom.

  If you knew the basics about this failed war, you would know that most the people blowing up US soldiers are not Iraqis, so to claim defense of their side, as you frequently do, in saying they are justified in doing it for self defense is in error. These are terrorists crossing into an unguarded Iraq from places like Iran and Syria to kill our boys. You might think that is their right to do so, but I don't.

  Might I also point out that OUR BOYS over there are not an invading army out to seize control of Iraq and plant a US flag, but are there to try and help them. Their shooting at our troops is not justified as defense of there country, because it isn't the Iranians or Syrians country, and it isn't under attack. They are doing it because it is free target practice at the US, a country that they dislike for many reasons, including having a bad policy and allowing Jews in the area to stay.

  Finally, yes they are terrorists. Somebody who targets innocent people, unarmed men, women and children included, to terrorize people for politicial or religious reasons is a terrorist.

  Best,

  Donovan

Andreas Schou <ophite at gmail.com> wrote:
  On 6/3/07, Donovan Arnold wrote:

> Andreas,
>
> You wrote:
>
> "No, actually, that's exactly what I'm arguing. Terrorist bombings are
> beestings. Worth paying attention to -- but it makes roughly as much
> sense to base one's foreign policy on terrorism as it makes to base
> one's camping plans on the possibility of being mauled by lions."
>
> So even though the leading cause of death and destruction of your military
> and civilian populations is lions when you go "camping" you would instead
> focus your attention on defenses against the Tyrannosaurus Rex and Killer
> Whale because they COULD do more damage? I think it is wisest to focus you
> energies on preventing what is killing your people. We didn't focus on an
> open door and free trade policy with Russia and the Chinese when we were
> fighting the Japanese and Germans, we focused most of our resources on the
> biggest problem facing us. The attack on Pearl Harbor had less fatalities
> and monetary damage than 9/11.

Donovan --

Over 150 times more Americans died during World War II than have died
to terrorists since the beginning of the 20th century. Your comparison
is insulting to both the people that gave their lives fighting fascism
in WWII and to basic principles of reason.

We have known from the beginning that the price of our liberty is
human lives. Our generation has paid only a tiny price in lives, but
after 9/11, we suffered tremendous damage to our liberties, our
democracy, and to civil society in general.

The rank cowardice of our leaders in throwing away legal principles
that have protected Englishmen and Americans since the dissolution of
the Star Chamber turns my stomach.

-- ACS

(Also: the people we're fighting in Iraq? They're not terrorists. The
laws of war permit an occupied population to resist the occupying
force by any means that would be legal if conducted by an organized
military. I emphatically do not approve of this, but "terrorism" is
not the appropriate term.)

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com