[Vision2020] Timely Information is Important

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jun 10 09:58:59 PDT 2007

>From yesterday's (June 9, 2007) Moscow-Pullman Daily News with thanks to Kit
Craine -

Timely information is important

I agree with Moscow Councilor Aaron Ament's comments in regard to receiving
information just prior to a meeting. The City Council is conducting the
people's business: making contracts, passing laws, and - most importantly -
spending our money.

A smart person takes time to read and understand the fine print in a
contract before signing it. I expect our representatives to do no less when
committing our community and our dollars to something.

Furthermore, we - the people - have a right to participate in our
government. We should be able to review the same information the council
will see so we can make informed comments.

Neither the council nor the people can do their jobs well when pertinent
information is not available until just before a decision is made. That has
nothing to do with the competence of the staff and everything to do with
timing. When important information arrives too late to fit into the packet,
perhaps the matter should be tabled until the next meeting.

Kit Craine, Moscow

Exactly, Ms. Craine.

I would much prefer a city council that thoroughly discusses and examines
evidence, testimony, and documentation before reaching an informed decision
than one that haphazardly renders an uninformed, uneducated, and unqualified
decision.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)