[Vision2020] And Justice for All

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Sat Jun 9 16:53:39 PDT 2007

Sue,

Thanks for writing back. The Song in question is not of an imprecatory
nature, but more of a Johnathon Edwards' "sinners in the hand of an
angry God" flavor. I would call it evangelistic in it's tenor. For
imprecatory types of songs you really need to sing from the Psalms.

Jesus quoted from Psalm 69:4 in John 15:25.

Here is the whole Psalm so you don't have to look it up:
Psalm 69

A Cry of Distress
To the chief Musician upon Shoshan'nim, A Psalm of David.

1 Save me, O God; for the waters are come in unto my soul.

2 I sink in deep mire, where there is no standing: I am come into deep
waters, where the floods overflow me.

3 I am weary of my crying: my throat is dried: mine eyes fail while I
wait for my God.

4 They that hate me without a cause are more than the hairs of mine
head: they that would destroy me, being mine enemies wrongfully, are
mighty: then I restored that which I took not away.

5 O God, thou knowest my foolishness; and my sins are not hid from
thee.

6 Let not them that wait on thee, O Lord GOD of hosts, be ashamed for
my sake: let not those that seek thee be confounded for my sake, O God
of Israel.

7 Because for thy sake I have borne reproach; shame hath covered my
face.

8 I am become a stranger unto my brethren, and an alien unto my
mother's children.

9 For the zeal of thine house hath eaten me up; and the reproaches of
them that reproached thee are fallen upon me.

10 When I wept, and chastened my soul with fasting, that was to my
reproach.

11 I made sackcloth also my garment; and I became a proverb to them.

12 They that sit in the gate speak against me; and I was the song of
the drunkards.

13 But as for me, my prayer is unto thee, O LORD, in an acceptable
time:
O God, in the multitude of thy mercy hear me, in the truth of thy
salvation.

14 Deliver me out of the mire, and let me not sink: let me be delivered
from them that hate me, and out of the deep waters.

15 Let not the waterflood overflow me, neither let the deep swallow me
up, and let not the pit shut her mouth upon me.

16 Hear me, O LORD; for thy loving-kindness is good: turn unto me
according to the multitude of thy tender mercies.

17 And hide not thy face from thy servant; for I am in trouble: hear me
speedily.

18 Draw nigh unto my soul, and redeem it: deliver me because of mine
enemies.

19 Thou hast known my reproach, and my shame, and my dishonor: mine
adversaries are all before thee.

20 Reproach hath broken my heart; and I am full of heaviness: and I
looked for some to take pity, but there was none; and for comforters,
but I found none.

21 They gave me also gall for my meat;and in my thirst they gave me
vinegar to drink.

22 Let their table become a snare before them: and that which should
have been for their welfare, let it become a trap.

23 Let their eyes be darkened, that they see not; and make their loins
continually to shake.

24 Pour out thine indignation upon them, and let thy wrathful anger
take hold of them.

25 Let their habitation be desolate; and let none dwell in their tents.
Acts 1.20

26 For they persecute him whom thou hast smitten; and they talk to the
grief of those whom thou hast wounded.

27 Add iniquity unto their iniquity: and let them not come into thy
righteousness.

28 Let them be blotted out of the book of the living, and not be
written with the righteous.

29 But I am poor and sorrowful: let thy salvation, O God, set me up on
high.

30 I will praise the name of God with a song, and will magnify him with
thanksgiving.

31 This also shall please the LORD better than an ox or bullock that
hath horns and hoofs.

32 The humble shall see this, and be glad: and your heart shall live
that seek God.

33 For the LORD heareth the poor, and despiseth not his prisoners.

34 Let the heaven and earth praise him, the seas, and every thing that
moveth therein.

35 For God will save Zion, and will build the cities of Judah: that
they may dwell there, and have it in possession.

36 The seed also of his servants shall inherit it: and they that love
his name shall dwell therein.

Another psalm that may sound like the Johnny Cash song in question
would be Psalm 37

Again here it is so that you won't have to look

The Insecurity of the Wicked A Psalm of David.

1 Fret not thyself because of evildoers, neither be thou envious
against the workers of iniquity.

2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass, and wither as the
green herb.

3 Trust in the LORD, and do good; so shalt thou dwell in the land, and
verily thou shalt be fed.

4 Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires
of thine heart.

5 Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring
it to pass.

6 And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy
judgment as the noonday.

7 Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself
because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who
bringeth wicked devices to pass.

8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath: fret not thyself in any wise to
do evil.

9 For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD,
they shall inherit the earth.

10 For yet a little while, and the wicked shall not be: yea, thou shalt
diligently consider his place, and it shall not be.

11 But the meek shall inherit the earth; Mt. 5.5 and shall delight
themselves in the abundance of peace.

12 The wicked plotteth against the just, and gnasheth upon him with his
teeth.

13 The Lord shall laugh at him: for he seeth that his day is coming.

14 The wicked have drawn out the sword, and have bent their bow, to
cast down the poor and needy, and to slay such as be of upright
conversation.

15 Their sword shall enter into their own heart, and their bows shall
be broken.

16 A little that a righteous man hath is better than the riches of many
wicked.

17 For the arms of the wicked shall be broken: but the LORD upholdeth
the righteous.

18 The LORD knoweth the days of the upright: and their inheritance
shall be for ever.

19 They shall not be ashamed in the evil time: and in the days of
famine they shall be satisfied.

20 But the wicked shall perish, and the enemies of the LORD shall be as
the fat of lambs: they shall consume; into smoke shall they consume
away.

21 The wicked borroweth, and payeth not again: but the righteous
showeth mercy, and giveth.

22 For such as be blessed of him shall inherit the earth; and they that
be cursed of him shall be cut off.

23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth
in his way.

24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD
upholdeth him with his hand.

25 I have been young, and now am old; yet have I not seen the righteous
forsaken, nor his seed begging bread.

26 He is ever merciful, and lendeth; and his seed is blessed.

27 Depart from evil, and do good; and dwell for evermore.

28 For the LORD loveth judgment, and forsaketh not his saints; they are
preserved for ever: but the seed of the wicked shall be cut off.

29 The righteous shall inherit the land, and dwell therein for ever.

30 The mouth of the righteous speaketh wisdom, and his tongue talketh
of judgment.

31 The law of his God is in his heart; none of his steps shall slide.

32 The wicked watcheth the righteous, and seeketh to slay him.

33 The LORD will not leave him in his hand, nor condemn him when he is
judged.

34 Wait on the LORD, and keep his way, and he shall exalt thee to
inherit the land: when the wicked are cut off, thou shalt see it.

35 I have seen the wicked in great power, and spreading himself like a
green bay tree.

36 Yet he passed away, and, lo, he was not: yea, I sought him, but he
could not be found.

37 Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for the end of that
man is peace.

38 But the transgressors shall be destroyed together: the end of the
wicked shall be cut off.

39 But the salvation of the righteous is of the LORD: he is their
strength in the time of trouble.

40 And the LORD shall help them, and deliver them: he shall deliver
them from the wicked, and save them, because they trust in him.

Doug!