[Vision2020] A Sad Night for Moscow

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Jun 7 11:47:32 PDT 2007

Tom,

Tersely put:

For many years working as a system engineer or consultant my tasks frequently included designing systems/work conditions/etc that encouraged staff/management performance at high levels.

There is no real secret in how to do this:

On a daily/weekly/etc basis reward in one way or another high performance, do not reward or tolerate sloth.

In my experience, most persons prefer to give high performance and actually enjoy their work better when they do (and the time goes faster); most people do have natural pride in the fruits of their activities.  Mediocre or slow/poor performance only becomes a bad habit when it is rewarded in one way or another, sometimes by ignoring it; I believe that this is the case in the examples cited in the previous post.

In companies and agencies where a carefully designed work environment and skilled management combine workers are less motivated by anticipated bonuses than they are by the quality/pace of their own work and the quality of their working life.  This has been true of many companies that do not offer any or offer only small bonuses.  There have been several studies showing that the highest monetary rewards are not necessarily the highest motivators.  Reasonably paid, high performing employees will often choose to stay in an organization with a high quality of working life which rewards in many on-monetary ways high performance.

In addition, there is nothing wrong in my opinion, of offering government workers reasonable bonuses for consistently high quality work.  Why should government be any different from many businesses in this regard?

I do not know anything about Les Schwab's bonus system.  But from my observation, the company has an expectation and culture of high performance and rewards such daily in many ways, including supervisory/peer reinforcement, teamwork, and intolerance for sloth.

In Dale Carnegie's How to Make Friends and Influence People, Carnegie describes a famous application of the above.  Charles M. Schwab, founder of Bethlehem Steel, one day came into the smelter area at the beginning of a shift and wrote "3" in chalk on the wall.  An employee asked "What does that mean?"  Schwab: "That's the number of loads the previous shift did."  Without a further word, he left.  Soon the shifts were competing with each other, the result being that the average number of loads per shift went from 3 to 7.  Pride.

A more detailed explanation of this phenomena is found in The Analysis of Behavior by B. F. Skinner (available through BookPeople).  The basic principles found therein have been many times successfully applied to motivate high performance and to enhance the quality and enjoyment of working life.  Countless management books of various quality have been written on this subject.

Note the use of the word "most" above.  Unfortunately, some people never seem to get it, more often at the management level.  After fair and reasonable attempts to motivate such a person to an acceptable level of performance are not successful, then for the betterment of the organization and the individual involved, it is time to give that individual an opportunity to find their employment niche (and possibly to re-evaluate their past performance levels/etc) elsewhere.

Though we having been discussing Moscow City government, the observant will reflect that several area businesses need a bit (or a lot) of attention here, particularly when it comes to customer service and/or encouraging working at a speedier pace -- this is especially true of some that bitch about big box stores being unfair competition.

W.