[Vision2020] Linda Pall On KGO AM 810 San Francisco Speaks Regarding US Supreme Court?

Donovan Arnold donovanjarnold2005 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 5 11:33:26 PDT 2007

Linda,

  I agree totally that six months is not a long enough period. People with disabilities have to deal with the same kind of limitations. They are often wronged and don't know it until much later. The other limitation is that they cannot sue for any real monetary damage from the state, only require the state to fix the problem.

  As slow as the political and legal processes work, six months is not enough time to deal with discrimination. Thanks for the phone call. And thanks for making Moscow look brighter than the average Joe.

  Best,

  Donovan

Linda Pall <lpall at moscow.com> wrote:
          Dear Visionaries All, including my friend, Ted,

  I confess: it was yours truly. In the wee small hours of the morning, I gave in to the urge to speak to millions about the extraordinarily bad decision of the U.S. Supreme Court limiting the time to six months employees have to bring actions charging wage discrimination on race or gender bases under Title VII of the 1964 Civil Rights Act. Employees do not spend their time canvassing their colleagues as to their salary rates. Discrimination of this sort is, by its nature, a persistent, long-running pattern that may not even be evident in a given six month period. The irony is that a company could argue that six months is not long enough to show the required pattern of discrimination or the Court's argument that the company should be on notice within six months.

  This decision is so contrary to the spirit of Title VII that it is really shocking. It is not a surprise that the normally collegial, unflappable Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg took the extraordinary step of declaring her dissent from the bench. Congress will have to step in and adopt an amendment, as they did in 1991 in answer to an earlier Supreme Court decision that removed compensatory damages from the remedies available to people who have been the victims of discrimination. Congress should now take charge and adopt an amendment that speels out in the clearest of terms a reasonable period for bringing such cases against employers, certainly more than six months!

  A number of years ago when I was being admitted to practice in front of the Supreme Court in its elegant chambers in Washington, D.C., the admittees were 'treated' to one of those dramatic Supreme Court moments when then-Chief Justice Rhenquist announced the majority opinion from the bench (finding that a non-citizen, permanent resident, an adoptee of an American family who had never lived after infancy in Korea, could be deported to Korea after conviction of a minor crime, I believe as a juvenile) and Justice David Souter's furious dissent from the bench. It was electric!

  I urge those of you who are awake in the early hours to listen up to KGO... 810 on the AM dial. John Rothman on the weekends has a usually interesting eclectic mix of topics. During the week, the outrageous but admirable Ray Tailleferro is worth the listen with his passionate patriots. Ray was a long time San Francisco commissioner and a great advocate for the arts in local government.

  Thanks for listening, Ted... your instincts are right on the money!

  All the best,

  Linda