[Vision2020] Jeb Bush Featured in Gay Marriage Ads

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Mon Jun 4 07:24:31 PDT 2007

I took the twinkling beady blue remark, added in the too much fun comment and combined it with the too much time on my hands quip (I recall no "might") and implied a faintly negative spin. If I was in error I apologize. My post was meant to be an in jest reference to that conversation more then (but not exclusive of) an expression of disagreement.

I fail to see the bigotry in the post you decline to pussyfoot around. There is no question that an inter-racial marriage would face unique difficulties. Heck, a marriage between a couple of  the same race, religion, educational background, and out of the same culture/community is tough enough to make work. Adding additional differences and distinctions would obviously have the potential to make a lasting union more of a challenge. Not that it necessarily would but, the potential would certainly be there. I do not think acknowledging this reality constitutes intolerance.

In my opinion a better solution to the church/state and marriage issue might be to go 180 degrees away from the direction that Mr. Rumelhart suggested. Have the state recognize no marriage. Treat all citizens as individuals for the purpose of taxation and benefits and let whoever wants to consider themselves married go for it with whatever church will have them. That way a marriage between a man and a woman would be, from a government perspective, no different than a partnership between a man and a pack of wild monkeys, a woman and a tank of tropical fish or any other creative living arraignment. Extending the current arrangement to include gay couples simply kicks the problem down the road a short distance till the next group that yearns for acknowledgement and a slice of the pie pops up and squeals for attention.