[Vision2020] Firearms - Dangerous or Useful?

Joe Campbell joekc at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 31 20:55:03 PDT 2007

Mike (if I may),

No doubt I might have read more into your first post
than you intended to say. In any event, sorry for the
harsh tone and I thank you for both of your careful
posts on a difficult, contentious issue. However, there
are some points with which I disagree and I have a few
comments to make in response to your last post.

First, of course there are benefits to owning firearms.
What matters is, Do the benefits outweigh the risks? I
tend to doubt that they do, in general. I won’t say
that I know that they don’t but, after looking over
your comments and links, I still doubt that they do.

For instance, you write: “Honest people are very
unlikely to be killed by guns in their houses.” But I
would note that honest people are very unlikely to need
a gun for protection, as well. Certainly some folks who
would advocate gun control are guilty of forming
beliefs on the basis of fear. But this is just as true
about pro-gun advocates. After all, why would the
average person think that he needed a gun for
protection unless he had an unrealistic idea of the
genuine probability of such a threat?

Fear and irrational perception play a big role in
forming the views of proponents on both sides of this
debate. I don’t see that one side has any advantage.

Second, of course we have a constitutional right to
bear arms. I respect the constitution as much as you or
anyone one else. But you seem to have a misconception
about the notion of a right. On your view, the second
amendment provides an ‘unfettered’ right to bear arms
but there is no such thing as an unfettered right. I
wrote about this topic in my last town crier piece in
more detail but here are the main points.

Consider the right to free speech, which is protected
by the first amendment. Is my right to speech
‘unfettered’? No; of course not. Libelous or slanderous
remarks are not protected by the first amendment.
Neither is yelling ‘fire’ in a crowed movie theatre.

In short, no one has the right to harm another. For
this reason, there is no such thing as an ‘unfettered’
right. We understand this for most rights. Few people
think that freedom of religion alone allows them to
formulate Rastafarian churches so that they can pass
out joints to their friends. (Apologies to any
Rastafarians in the audience.)

Somehow this rather simple point has escaped the NRA
and its supporters but collecting guns should be no
different than speech or religion or other protected
rights. Thus, the issue of rights doesn’t add a new
dimension to the debate. It just returns us to our
original question: For any particular weapon, do the
benefits outweigh the harms?

Third, I don’t find your ultimate solution to the
problem of gun violence in the US to be of much help at
all for the kinds of things that I worry about. You
write: “we need to hold people responsible for their
actions. Crimes committed with firearms should be
punished much more severely than those without. People
who are careless about allowing untrained people access
to their firearms should be held responsible.”

But how is holding someone like Hamilton, or the
Virginia Tech shooter, responsible for his actions
going to help us to reduce gun violence? Both of these
men ultimately killed themselves after they killed
others. It is little condolence to the families of
those lost that IF these guys had not killed
themselves, then they would have been punished to the
full extent of the law. What they might want to know
is, not Who can we blame? but What could have been do
to prevent those crimes? What can be done to prevent
them from occurring in the future?

Likewise, it would be little consolation to me to know
that, should my son get shot with a gun owned by the
careless father of one of his friends, that the father
will be held to the full extent of the law. I want to
know how to prevent the incident from occurring in the
first place.

Your ‘solution’ to the problem of gun violence in the
US is a lot like the following ‘solution’ to the
problem of drug abuse in the US: Just make all the
drugs legal – let folks have unfettered access to drugs
– and then if they commit any crimes while under the
influence, hold them responsible for those crimes.
Neither is a serious solution to a serious problem.

Third, my comments about Hamilton were based on news
reports and first-person reports from folks in the
emergency room on the night of the attack. I’d be
interested in knowing whether Hamilton had a semi-
automatic or armor-piercing bullets, so any other light
that anyone else has to shed on this would be
appreciated. I’m thankful for your comments, Mike,
since clearly I need to look into the issue more.

Much of this is beside the main issues of our debate,
though. My purpose is not to ban firearms or bullets –
I have no power to do that. My main purpose is to
explore the possibility of banning certain firearms or
bullets, in contrast to the “I’ve never met a weapon I
didn’t like” approach of the NRA and its supporters. I
picked semi-automatics and armor-piercing bullets
because they are obvious candidates for banning, IMO.
The fact that armor-piercing bullets are legal strikes
me as ridiculous and shows just how far the NRA and
others have succeeded in spreading the myth of an
unfettered right to bear arms.

The fact that Hamilton might not have had a semi-
automatic rifle, and that he might not have been in
possession of armor-piercing bullets, just makes it
clear that our current situation is even crazier than I
at first thought. There are even more guns and
ammunition that should be considered possible targets
for banning.

This gets back to one of my original points, e.g.,
about fear on the part of the supporters of unfettered
gun rights. What do you think the chances are that
someone might attack your house, wearing armor, and
that the only way that you could defend yourself is
with a semi-automatic rifle, or armor-piercing bullets,
or Hamilton’s AK-47 clone? You yourself said that a
normal rifle might do the job just as well. So the need
for semi-automatic weapons, armor-piercing bullets, and
Hamilton’s AK-47 clone is exactly what?

It seems that these examples cannot be justified by
appealing to a need for protection. Nor does the right
to bear arms, which I’ve argued is not unfettered,
support them. Someone has to show that these dangerous
toys do more good than harm and, so far, I just don’t
see how that argument gets off the ground.

Of course I might be wrong and I’m open to discussing
the topic in more detail!

Best, Joe