[Vision2020] Mere Christianity!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 11:20:03 PDT 2007

How do either of you reconcile your fact-based religion with faith?  If
there turns out to be no non-biblical historical record that Jesus was
resurrected, does that mean that you would stop believing it?  If faith
is required, then how can it be fact-based?  If faith is required, then
why criticize others for a religion based on emotion and hope?  How is
faith different than emotion or hope?  If faith has to be "rooted in
fact", then doesn't it cease to be faith?

The reason I suggest "non-biblical" historical records is that trying to
use the books of the Bible to prove the existence of Jesus is a little
like using the books of Harry Potter to prove the existence of Albus
Dumbledore.  An objective source that talks about the resurrection of
Jesus would be helpful.  I'm not a historian - for all I know there may
be tens of thousands of such accounts, but what if they were shown to be
forgeries or something?  Would that affect the level of your belief?

Does Doug Farris really know that much about "all other religions",
anyway?  Is there no historical basis for the prophets of Islam (peace
be upon them), for example?

Paul