[Vision2020] Can Gun Control Reduce Crime? (was 11 year girl)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Thu Jul 26 14:51:21 PDT 2007

You should go back and re-read my posting, g.

It reads:

"Country: Japan
Prohibits handguns with few exceptions
Households with Firearms: 0.6%
Gun Homicide (per 100,000): 0.03
Gun Suicide (per 100,000): 0.04
Total Intentional Gun Death (per 100,000): 0.07"

You will notice (I hope) the reference to "GUN [my emphasis] Homicide"
(homicides where a gun is used) and "GUN [again, my emphasis] Suicide"
(suicides where a gun is used).

This restricts the data to only those homicides and suicides where a gun was
used.  Perhaps the suicide rate overall (including suicides by knife, gas,
jumping off a cliff, jumping in front of a moving train, etc. etc.) is
higher in Japan than in the US.  However, restricting the data to ONLY those
suicides where a gun is used, Japan is incredibly significantly lower (per
100,000) than the US (.04 versus 7.23).

I certainly hope that the facts didn't confuse you.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)