[Vision2020] 11 year girl

TIM RIGSBY tim.rigsby at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 06:51:20 PDT 2007

  MSNBC.comIdaho town issues call to arms Idaho burg requires gun ownership to guard against Katrina refugee floodThe Associated PressUpdated: 12:03 p.m. MT Nov 16, 2006GREENLEAF,
Idaho - After seeing the chaos of Hurricane Katrina, a city councilor
in this tiny Idaho town founded by pacifist Quakers came up with a
novel idea.Ordinance 208, passed by the
City Council on Tuesday, asks Greenleaf's 862 residents who do not
object on religious or other grounds to keep a gun at home in case they
are overrun by refugees from the Gulf Coast."This is not an 'it'll never happen here' kind of thing," said Steven Jett, the ordinance's sponsor. "We could get refugees."In
this town about 35 miles west of Boise near the Oregon line — where an
estimated 80 percent of the adults already own guns — the proposal
hardly caused a stir: It went through weeks of public hearings and drew
only mild criticism from the pastor of the town's Quaker meeting house.But in the six weeks since Jett first introduced the ordinance, national media have flocked to the story.Jay
Leno ribbed Greenleaf in his monologue. Comedy Central's "The Daily
Show" telephoned, no doubt to exploit Idaho's reputation as wild
woodland where mountain men shop for groceries with a rifle slung over
a camouflage jacket.Jett, whose father
died in a hunting accident, said the ordinance is designed to enable
residents to protect themselves, but it also gives the city a better
platform from which to promote gun safety."The fact that Greenleaf supports the Second Amendment, we'll be able to keep the crime rate down," he said.Ummm, what crime?The
thing is, Greenleaf doesn't really have crime. At least as most cities
define it. The most violent offense reported in the past two years was
a fistfight.Still, Jett insists, the menace of high crime may be on the horizon.Greenleaf
is on the western fringe of Canyon County, a fast-growing suburb of
Boise. As developers turn alfalfa rows into tract housing and hay bales
into big box stores, Jett wants newcomers to know that criminals will
not be "comfortable" in Greenleaf."We don't have a crime problem," he said. "But this area is going to grow and we're going to keep it that way."Pastor
Alan Weinacht originally opposed the ordinance because it conflicted
with the Quaker teaching of nonviolence. Based on an unenforced 1982
law in Kennesaw, Ga., it originally require all homeowners to own and
"maintain a firearm.""It made owning a gun
a basis of good citizenship," Weinacht said. "I don't know. It just
seems we're slipping as a society into a culture of fear."But
then Weinacht, who owns several shotguns and rifles for hunting and
target shooting, discussed the law with Jett. Jett softened the
language and allowed for personal or religious exemptions.On
Tuesday, Weinacht, one of four residents to attend the council meeting,
announced his support. "I want to be a team player," he told the mayor
and four council members.With that, the council approved the ordinance, with Councilor Clovis Strange joking that it had become "gutless."Mayor
Brad Holton, who owns about 25 rifles, laughed at the fact that
Greenleaf's gun law had been put the town into the national media
spotlight."It's been a wild ride," he said.© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15751662/" 'Politics is the art of controlling your environment.' That is one of the key things I learned in these years, and I learned it the hard way. Anybody who thinks that 'it doesn't matter who's President' has never been Drafted and sent off to fight and die in a vicious, stupid War on the other side of the World -- or been beaten and gassed by Police for trespassing on public property -- or been hounded by the IRS for purely political reasons -- or locked up in the Cook County Jail with a broken nose and no phone access and twelve perverts wanting to stomp your ass in the shower. That is when it matters who is President or Governor or Police Chief. That is when you will wish you had voted." - Hunter S. ThompsonFrom: tim.rigsby at hotmail.comTo: thansen at moscow.com; fotopro63 at hotmail.com; vision2020 at moscow.comDate: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 07:48:42 -0600Subject: Re: [Vision2020] 11 year girl

Not necessarily the City Police Department, but I believe that it was the City Council of the town of Greenleaf, ID that made headlines this spring for passing a ordinance requesting that every head of household purchase and retain firearms for the protection of the community.  The ordinance said something like buy guns, get trained on how to use them, and then use them if needed to protect your family and your town.  I could be wrong though." 'Politics is the art of controlling your environment.' That is one of the key things I learned in these years, and I learned it the hard way. Anybody who thinks that 'it doesn't matter who's President' has never been Drafted and sent off to fight and die in a vicious, stupid War on the other side of the World -- or been beaten and gassed by Police for trespassing on public property -- or been hounded by the IRS for purely political reasons -- or locked up in the Cook County Jail with a broken nose and no phone access and twelve perverts wanting to stomp your ass in the shower. That is when it matters who is President or Governor or Police Chief. That is when you will wish you had voted." - Hunter S. ThompsonFrom: thansen at moscow.comTo: fotopro63 at hotmail.com; vision2020 at moscow.comDate: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 05:30:40 -0700Subject: Re: [Vision2020] 11 year girl

A couple questions, Kai (although they
have been asked and not answered):

Could you explain to us how introducing
more firearms into the public venue is going to reduce the number of violent
crimes?

Can you provide us evidence that ANY city’s
police department encourages its citizenry to purchase and possess firearms?

Seeya round town, Moscow.

- Dale Courtney (March 28, 2007)