[Vision2020] Simulation, Hypermarkets, Hypercommodity

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Jul 24 18:50:31 PDT 2007

Greetings from Crescent Lake in the Olympics,

I'm on vacation and I've not read my e-mail for
five days (that's really hard!), but I just had
to remind my good friend Joe that there are many
kinds of postmodernism and constructive
postmodernism is not anti-analytic. It's leading
philosopher, David Griffin, is a expert logician as well as metaphysician.

The only form of postmodernism (the French form)
that people talk about is the worst version of it.

Nick Gier

At 09:33 AM 7/22/2007, you wrote:
>Ted, To my knowledge, Baudrillard's philosophy
>has not been mentioned by my students, though it
>wouldn't surprise me if I missed a reference. As
>I mentioned, I tend not to focus on ethics or
>political theory in my classes since my own
>specializations are in the areas metaphysics and
>epistemology. And post-modernism is
>anti-analytic, so it is hard for me to get my
>head wrapped around it. I do plan to explore the
>connection between Baudrillard and the Matrix
>given what you've said. Your comment about the
>Matrix not being totally ‘fake’ is an
>interesting one. There is a difficult article on
>this topic -- The Matrix as Metaphysics, David
>Chalmers -- available on the Matrix website:
>http://whatisthematrix.warnerbros.com/rl_cmp/phi.html
>The site contains several nice essays written by
>contemporary philosophers. Among my favorites
>are: Dream Skepticism; Brain-In-A-Vat
>Skepticism; The Experience Machine, Christopher
>Grau What’s So Bad About Living in the Matrix,
>James Pryor Plato’s Cave and the Matrix, John
>Partridge Neo’s Freedom
 Whoa!, Michael