[Vision2020] Essay on Globalism by Ron Paul

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sat Jul 21 20:33:07 PDT 2007

On 7/21/07, lfalen <lfalen at turbonet.com> wrote:

>  Having said that it is important to realize we live in a global society
> and market place. We have to be willing to compete in the global market.
> Just do not place our laws second to anything else.

There are very problematic and apparently mutually exclusive rules governing
competing for profit in a global marketplace and not placing our laws second
to anything else.  Getting rid of trade barriers and government regulation
of business has been promoted as a benefit to most all in an open worldwide
economy.

But the profit motive as a overriding rasion d'etre in the
global economy with multinational corporations, will inexorably result in a
disregard for some fundamental US domestic interests, US workers' wages and
jobs, safety and environmental law (Bush's "Clear Skies Act." Orwell would
love it!), if not the US Constitution, etc.

How can US domestic businesses compete with businesses in nations with few
if any environmental or safety laws, without pressure to lower our standards
that add costs to business?  The EPA has lost power under the Bush
administration:

Objections to Bush's "Clear Skies Act" from the National Council of
Churches:

http://www.ncccusa.org/news/04bushonair.html

Protection of the global climate is an essential requirement for faithful
human stewardship of God's creation on Earth. Our own National Academy of
Sciences --- joining an overwhelming scientific consensus --- concluded in
2001 that carbon emissions from power plants are significantly contributing
to the increase in global warming. Yet, your initiative pointedly does not
set mandatory standards of reduction for these emissions. A multi-pollutant
approach must address all significant emissions from power plants, including
carbon emissions.

Clean air is as essential to life as a stable climate. Yet the Environmental
Protection Agency reports that millions of Americans live in areas that have
been deemed unhealthy to breathe. Power plants are the single greatest
source of industrial air pollution in the nation. The American Lung
Association asserts that the attainment of reductions of sulfur dioxide,
nitrogen oxides, and mercury that would take effect under the existing Clean
Air Act will be delayed for years if "Clear Skies" is adopted by Congress.

---------------------

It is becoming increasing hard to separate what is an exclusively domestic
interest from an international one.
For example, are US citizens expendable as warriors to protect the
multinational economic system under the guise that they are protecting US
citizens from attacks on our soil?  The oil in the Middle East is not being
protected by our military just for US current or future consumption.  Access
to this oil is critical to keeping the multinational economic system
functioning.  It is argued that keeping this system functioning and
expanding is critical for US economic benefits, but at a cost to whom?

Ron Paul comments on the "elites" hypocritical pandering to the "American
way" should be at the top of the list of political ruses for politicians.
Consider one issue that has been in the news recently, food safety.  How can
we allow free trade with other nations who may not follow our food safety
and testing standards without placing our laws second?  The answer is we
can't, not without very creative legislation that violates the spirit of the
food safety laws.  It's one thing to have standards in place, but without
the rigorous testing to enforce the laws, food safety is in name only:

U.S. food imports outrun FDA resources

http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/food/2007-03-18-food-safety-usat_N.htm

"The FDA has so few resources, all it can do is target high-risk things,
give a pass to everything else and hope it is OK," says William Hubbard,a
former FDA associate commissioner who retired in 2005."The public probably
has the perception … that they're more protected than they really are."
--------------------
Regarding another hot button issue that seems to defy political
partisanship, US jobs and wages, both so called liberals and conservatives
raise questions about the loss of good paying jobs to cheap foreign labor,
replaced by lower paying jobs.  Of course the business and financial
"elites" that Ron Paul references pursue the cheapest labor they can find,
anywhere in the world.  If profit is their primary goal in competing in
business, they'd be a fool not to.  And even if they tried to show patriotic
loyalty to US workers by maintaining good paying US jobs, their less
scrupulous competitors would force them out of business.

This story at the web link below is about cheap imported labor from India
into Dubai.  And a Dubai company was going to take over US port security?  I
don't know of any egregious current examples in the US like this, but there
is good data regarding lowering of wages in some professions, or loss of the
whole manufacturing base in some sectors, in the USA, from the influx of
cheap "illegal immigrant" labor, and/or the moving of factories and
businesses that take advantage of cheap abundant labor in other nations:

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/dubai-skyscraper-becomes-worlds-tallest/20070721134709990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Most of the 4,000 laborers are from India.

Toiling in slave-like conditions in Dubai's sizzling summer with no set
minimum wage and working in three shifts around the clock, they are building
the $1 billion skyscraper in the heart of Downtown Dubai, a 500-acre
development project worth $20 billion.

Protests against labor abuse in Dubai are regularly recorded by human rights
groups but are rarely reported in local press. However, it's a prevailing
belief the workers are happy with whatever pitiful salary they get to send
home to dirt-poor families in India.
--------------

"...it's a prevailing belief the workers are happy..."

Sounds like the old south...Or a certain local religious leader...
-------------------
Simulation and hyper reality indeed!

Politicians who are bought by the multinational economic system, wear the
flag and salute!  They simulate patriotism so well it is taken for reality,
and the media delivers their patriotic holograms to float in peoples' homes
on their high definition wide screen monitors.

It is just as Baudrillard contends, if I can stretch his thinking onto the
Procrustean bed of this theme... The simulation of patriotism for a strong
and independent nation, via modern media and tactics of advertising and
marketing, public opinion surveying and focus groups, is projected and
respected, while the real empire (the USA as a separate and sovereign
nation) is being undermined...Highly sophisticated psycho/social
psychoanalytic methods are now applied with full force to the selling of
politicians.  Image is all.  How else could Bush have won two elections for
president?

Globalism will win in the end...And US patriots will have holograms of the
once sovereign and proud USA beamed into their compounds for "correct think"
sessions...

Ted Moffett