[Vision2020] Baghdad Is Too Hot For Iraqi Leaders?

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Sun Jul 15 10:32:35 PDT 2007

>From Bob Schieffer's closing commentary on today's (July 15, 2007) "Face the
Nation" -

Baghdad Is Too Hot For Iraqi Leaders?
By Bob Schieffer

I am still not sure that I believe it: The Iraqi parliament is going on
vacation during the month of August.

The White House offers the lame excuse that, after all, Baghdad is hot in
August - sometimes 130 degrees.

May I ask a follow-up?

How much hotter do you suppose it is if you are a wearing a helmet, full
body armor, carrying ammunition and walking foot patrols through Baghdad?

The last I heard, that is how American troops are spending their August in
Iraq.

For me, this does it.

God help the Iraqi people because there is not much America can do to help a
government that leaves Americans dying in the streets while the parliament
escapes to cooler climes.

Does this mean we should pull out immediately?

No. A sudden withdrawal could set the entire region aflame. The truth is
there are no good options left. But from here on, we need to put aside the
dream of building a democracy in Iraq and focus solely on what is in our
national interest.

It won't be pretty, but for all our good intentions, about all we can do now
is try to contain this mess, pull our troops back from the middle of this
civil war, and concentrate instead on the terrorist threat that this country
faces around the world.

As for what kind of government Iraq needs, let their parliament figure it
out. They can get right on it when the Baghdad weather turns cooler.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"In America, anybody can become president.
That's one of the risks you take . . ."

- Adlai Stevenson