[Vision2020] Union Of Concerned Scientists New Report:Global Warming Will Hit U.S. Northeast Hard

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 19:03:11 PDT 2007

http://www.ucsusa.org/news/press_release/global-warming-to-hit-0044.html

CAMBRIDGE, Mass. (July 11, 2007)—If heat-trapping emissions are not
significantly curtailed, global warming will substantially change critical
aspects of the Northeast's character and economy, according to a new report
by the Northeast Climate Impacts Assessment (NECIA), a two-year
collaboration between the Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) and a team of
more than 50 scientists and economists. Near-term choices about energy,
transportation, and land-use will largely determine the extent and severity
of climate change.

"Global warming represents an enormous challenge, but we can meet it if we
act swiftly," said Peter Frumhoff, director of science and policy at UCS and
chair of the NECIA team. "Our response to global warming in the next few
years will shape the climate our children and grandchildren inherit."

The peer-reviewed report, "Confronting Climate Change in the U.S.
Northeast," incorporates and builds on NECIA's 2006 study that described how
the climate of the nine Northeast states will change under two scenarios:
one that assumes an increase in global warming emissions from continued
heavy reliance on fossil fuels, and another that assumes substantially lower
emissions due to an increased reliance on clean energy sources. The report
documents the projected consequences of each emissions path. It also details
what individuals, businesses, and governments can do today to reduce
emissions to levels below the lower-emissions scenario and to adapt to the
unavoidable changes already set in motion by emissions over the past several
decades.
The new report and a complete list of collaborating scientists and
economists are available at

www.climatechoices.org/ne/resources_ne/nereport.html