[Vision2020] Women in Authority and Leadership!

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 11 20:09:09 PDT 2007

heirdoug,

There really is nothing I can say in opposition to Doug's argument,
since I have to throw out his entire premise.  The Bible is, as far as
I'm aware, just a work of fiction and/or a hopeful description of how
some people a couple of thousand of years ago or more wished the world
worked, mixed with some sound advice here and there and probably not a
little politicizing.  Trying to figure out how some primitive societies
would view women in a modern military doesn't really interest me.  It
doesn't take in to account anything that has happened since that
particular book was forever frozen in stone.  The entire way a war is
fought is fundamentally different today.  We don't have people with
swords and spears where brute strength matters as the major way in which
a war is fought anymore.  Wars are now fought at a distance, with
technology for the most part.  At least in this country.  Does the sex
of the person flying the plane have anything to do with the devastation
the bomb it just dropped will have?  Even in the infantry, it's
basically gun against gun.  Women can fire a gun as easily as a man
can.  Perhaps they are not suited to the special forces, but given some
of the women I've known I wouldn't be surprised if quite a few are.  It
is true that women are weaker, generally speaking, than men.  That is
why "fighting like a woman" is to be considered a bad thing when sheer
strength can decide the battle.  That is rarely the case today.
Unfortunately, the Bible is frozen and cannot be updated to modern
times.  The words God had to say to get His point across to one
particular culture in one particular time have to be the only words over
spoken on the topic.

So, biblically, I don't have an argument.  What's more, I don't really
care - just as you presumably don't care much what the ancient Mayans
had to say on the topic.  Morally, I find nothing at all wrong with
women who want to sacrifice themselves to a cause like this.  In my
view, the inner spirit is what counts, not the exact type of genitals or
the number of appendages one has.  Societally is about the only place I
can see that it might be detrimental at all.  Having both parents go to
war is obviously unworkable if there are young children involved.  There
is also a large amount of misogyny in the military today, women are
forced to undergo a much harder time of it than a man is.  Yet there are
obvious answers to these problems that society can evolve around -
assuming that it isn't stuck in a world that thinks it's two thousand
years ago.

Also, I really shouldn't be calling your Christian walk into question
because I am not qualified to do so.  Just as you have little right to
call my spiritist/pagan/(whatever I am) walk into question.  However,
even if your path is not my path, I hope you walk it well.

Paul