[Vision2020] Conciliation Petition

Sue Hovey suehovey at moscow.com
Wed Jul 11 17:44:11 PDT 2007

If I were going to sign any petition I would want it to be a win for
students.  There is no such possibility given the perimeters established by
Gerald Weitz in his approach to the school district.

First:  His message to the district includes more than just a simple
re-running of the levy.  It involves changes to the budget to include the
programs he insists upon.  Should the district include those programs, they
must of necessity cut others, in addition to the cuts they have already
made.  Given his history in other legal issues, there is no reason to
believe he is ready to compromise on this one.

Second:  Neither Jim Demeerler, in his letters to the editor, nor Gerry
Weitz, has agreed to support any attempt to rerun any levy.  Not only have
they not said they would support it, insisting on changes which result in
the cutting of other programs will ensure others will not support it either.
So that's the win-win for them.

Third:   Roger Falen and Gary Young are proposing a course of action which
does not impact them one way or the other.  They do not live in the
district.  Additionally, Gary, in his deliberations before the Idaho
Legislature, never moved to improve or clarify the statutes, and there is
little in his voting record to indicate support for public education.

Fourth:  If Don Harter were actually in a frame of mind to push true
conciliation, one has to wonder why his letters to the editor were neither
conciliatory nor moderate.  Those letters blasted the MSD and those who work
there. None of us who support MSD have any reason to believe him now.

Fifth:  I believe the common interest of the people who originated this
document is not a concern for MSD and the students in our schools. Were that
so, they would have expressed that concern at least sometime during the past
couple of months.  What they have in common is their membership in the
Republican Party, along with Jim Demeerler and Gerald Weitz. Perhaps my
memory is faulty, but I don't recall any one of them publically supporting a
local district levy---EVER--not Gary Young, not Don Harter, not Dortha
Hedrick, not even Isabel Bond, though I would like to think she would have.

Sixth:  I voted for the levy, as did a majority of those who cast votes.  I
understand the terms PERMANENT , INDEFINITE,  and SUPPLEMENTAL.  I continue
to believe the District framed the question in a legal, ethical, and
understandable manner.  This petition is nothing more than an attempt to
further divide us.  Please do not sign it.

Sue Hovey