[Vision2020] Women in Authority and Leadership!

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Jul 11 08:54:55 PDT 2007

Greetings:

I'm glad that Heirdoug mentioned that God led the great men of Israel
into battle, and all they had to do was clean up after the divine
warrior and his heavenly host (=army).

Now, that's what I would call a real sissified military culture,
where Israel men of the chest were not able to win their own
battles.  At the battle for Jericho, all these he-men had to do was
march around the city and blow some horns and the Lord God did all
the heavy work for them.  Let's all encourage our brave young men to
put away their AK-47s and practice their instruments for the Marine Corps Band!

I now ask Ed the Viking:  What is the difference between this and our
boys playing soccer with the Iraqis and rebuilding their
schools?  One difference I see is that the civilian causalities are
far less and we have at least a chance at winning some hearts and
minds.  When Yahweh was finished with Israel's enemies, there were no
hearts and minds left.

Remember when Moses came back after a fair fight with the Midianite
warriors in Numbers 31?  He came to Moses and told him that he had
forgot to kill all the old men, women, and boys.  Only the virgin
girls were to be saved for the Israelite Wrights and Sitlers.

For some scholarly reading on the subject please see Millard Lind's
"Yahweh is a Warrior: The Theology of Warfare in Ancient Israel."

Nick Gier