[Vision2020] Women in Authority and Leadership!

heirdoug at netscape.net heirdoug at netscape.net
Tue Jul 10 22:33:58 PDT 2007

Paul,

I didn't think that your comment was too snarky. You have every right
to call my Christian walk into question. I would just ask you to do so
with what the Bible says being a Christian is all about and not what
others say a Christian is.

I am not slamming the capabilities of women in the military. I am just
questioning the moral, Biblical and societal reason for having women in
harms way so that the enemy can take advantage of situation. Pastor
Wilson made some comments about this topic just this last month. I will
copy it in its intirity so you don't have to go looking for it.

lemeno what you think. Doug!

Let Us Feed Cheesecake to our Horses

Topic: Old Table Talk Articles

The famous story tells of the minister who wrote in the margin of his
notes, "Argument weak. Shout here." Whenever anyone is unalterably
attached to a position, and that position is wrong, there is always a
strong temptation to shout. Moreover, the sillier a position gets, the
more shouting is required to keep people from asking those pesky
questions.

Egalitarianism is an unbelieving mother with many foolish sons and
daughters, with one of the loudest and most foolish being feminism. In
many cases, the impact of this folly is tolerable, involving (or so we
think) just a few pronoun questions, and the use of Ms. in addressing
letters -- which actually seems like a good idea when the marital state
of the recipient is unknown. But by the time we get out to those
applications which are fundamentally outrageous, we find that we have
completely lost our ability even to recognize what is occurring. In our
public discussions of all such matters, the center of gravity has
dramatically shifted. This can be seen most clearly in those areas
where feminism is most evidently and unarguably wrongheaded, but even
and especially in such clear areas, saying something about it can still
be extraordinarily difficult. Probably the most outstanding example of
such issues is the vexed question of women in combat.

The thing is actually debated seriously, and we can even find
well-meaning Christians scratching their heads over it. But of course,
this is not "a debatable matter." Women going to war alongside the men
is flatly excluded in a biblical worldview, and a nation defended by
her women is not worthy of defense. Sadly, this issue also demonstrates
plainly the disconnect in the minds of many Christians between their
"religious beliefs" and what they will go along with "culturally."

When the Bible discusses the matter of going to war, it assumes
throughout that those involved will be the men. For example, when the
census for war was taken, those counted were males twenty-years-old and
up (Num. 1:20). When Nehemiah exhorts the men of Jerusalem to good
courage, he says just what we might expect, urging them to fight for
their sons, daughters and wives (Neh. 4:14). Fighting for their
husbands is not mentioned.

The Bible also tells us in numerous places that women are not gifted at
the kind of violence that occurs in war. A common prophetic judgment is
that the warriors will begin to fight like women (Is. 19:16; Jer.
50:36-37; 51:29-30; Nah. 3:13). Now surely if it is a bad thing to have
your men fight like women, we should also be able to say, mutatis
mutandis, that it is a bad thing to have your women fight like women.
The fact that we have all been peecee-sensitized (and are frankly all a
little jumpy about me writing like this) can be seen in the fact that I
must now hasten to add that these biblical comparisons are not an
insult to women. Of course they are not. How is it an insult to a
hammer to say it cannot tighten bolts the way a crescent wrench can? Or
versa vice grips?

In Deuteronomy, we find a much overlooked prohibition of women in
combat. But unlike most neglected portions of Scripture, this one never
needed to be applied because it was so widely practiced in the light of
nature -- until quite recently. Now we apparently need to have the
content of the verse spelled out. Most think of it as simply
prohibiting transvestitism. "A woman shall not wear anything that
pertains to a man, nor shall a man put on a woman’s garment, for all
who do so are an abomination to the Lord your God" (Dt. 22:5).
Transvestite men certainly are condemned here, and are prohibited from
dressing like a woman. But the language with regard to the women is
quite different. The operative phrase in this passage is keli gabar,
the gear of a warrior. A woman is not to wear the gear of a fighter.
The prohibition is not of slacks, but rather of helmets and heavy
rifles.

The really disturbing thing about this passage is that the practice is
not rejected as out of keeping with culturally-established standards of
decorum. It is rejected as an abomination -- a strong word for most
public policy discussions.

A friend of mine used to jog through the grounds of one of our service
academies, and used to run by groups of the entering class -- running
whatever grueling distance was required of them. At the front were the
men, with upper-classmen running alongside them, informing them in a
loud voice that they were nothing but maggots, that sort of thing. It
is not surprising that they did such a bad job running; maggots don’t
have legs. In another group, far, far behind, were the women. They too
had their upperclassmen accompanying them -- but the message here was
entirely different, and most affirming: "You can do it! Come on, come
on!" What is wrong with this picture? The egalitarian theory we have
adopted is falsifiable in principle, but we are not about to let it be
falsified.

Obviously, our cultural discourse has been greatly debased. We, in the
grip of a very bad idea, have thought to repeal some fundamental laws
of the natural order of things. Good luck to us all, says I. Let us
repeal the law of gravity to cut down on that frictional wear and tear.
Let us herd cats. Let us sweep water uphill. Let us feed cheesecake to
our horses.