[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: church and paintball

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 22:57:36 PDT 2007

Ellen Roskovich wrote:

> *Video games?  Don't get me started!  Fantasy and reality. . . some
> never get it.*

If they "never get it", then they have a problem already.  If the line
between fantasy and reality is already blurred for them, then any
stimulus might set them off or cause an accident.  A video game, a
physical group game like paintball, a good book, a movie, or simply
their imagination can do it.  The problem is not the video game as
"enabler", it's their inability to determines what's real.

I'm fed up with the Jack Thompsons of the world (google him if you don't
know who he is).  He thinks Grand Theft Auto is a "cop killing
simulator".  What gets me is the people that say these things have never
played a video game more complicated than solitaire or bejeweled in
their lives.  Frankly, it makes me wonder if they are the ones with the
problem with discerning fantasy from reality.

I've played many video games.  I've shot fireballs at cacodemons, blown
up gangsters cars, shot soldiers with a sniper rifle, run over aliens
with an all-terrain vehicle, run over pedestrians for points, beaten up
a female ninja while playing as a purple-haired schoolgirl, and have
even chased a random person around a map with a baseball bat just for
the fun of it.  I've also jumped off of multi-story buildings, tried to
take on a tank with a hand gun, fired a rocket launcher at my feet, and
have reversed direction in a Nascar race just to see what the player
death animations or crash scenes look like.  Now, many of you are
probably nodding your heads because you've found that that explains much
about me you could never quite put your finger on, but I'd like to
believe that it's actually changed my real-life violence quotient
exactly jack-all.

To tie this into a subject Ted has mentioned in another post, many male
junior high students get more real-life exposure to
establishment-sanctioned violence by playing football.  Personally, I
don't have a problem with that either, but it's more realistic than
video games because you are actually hitting people with your body
instead of pressing left on the left thumb joystick while simultaneously
holding down the A and X keys.

Here are the only times I can think of when video games have intruded
upon my normal reality:

1.  Sometimes while playing Quake with a group of friends my adrenaline
levels will rise, especially if they keep lobbing grenades at me from
high places.

2.  I've found it best not to go for a drive immediately after playing a
couple of hours of Need for Speed without a break as I tend to drive
more aggressively than normal.

3.  I've sometimes had dreams where I am running around a map in Quake,
with the pixelated graphics and everything.  Usually after a multi-hour
session of Quake has just been completed.

4.  When I've just finished playing Tetris, I keep trying to make the
shapes in my visual field drop and interlock with each other for a few
seconds.

Anyway, I guess my main point is that people know where the line between
fantasy and reality is: it's one of the most fundamental concepts they
ever learn.  Children below a certain age will not and people with
actual specific psychological problems may not.  Everyone else does,
since it's a survival trait.  You may pretend that the red glowing
burner is cold, but reality has a way of asserting itself in those kinds
of situations.

Paul