[Vision2020] Great column: Maureen Dowd

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sun Jul 1 09:23:56 PDT 2007

This would be hysterically funny if it wasn't so true.

m.

*********

The New York Times

July 1, 2007
Op-Ed Columnist
Tears on My Pillow
By MAUREEN DOWD

"I miss Albania!" W. wails. "They know how to
treat a president there. Women were kissing me
and men rubbed my hair. The crowd kept yelling,
'Bushie!,' and they almost grabbed the watch
right off my wrist trying to get at me."

The concerned group huddling outside the
president's closed-bedroom door in Kennebunkport
can barely hear him. His voice is muffled because
he has his face buried in his feather pillow,
which the Secret Service has carefully
transported from Washington to Maine for the
weekend, knowing that it would be needed. They
guard it so conscientiously that they have even
given it a code name. Since the president's
Secret Service name is Tumbler, his agents
christened his beloved pillow Slumber.

"Son, I know how you feel," Poppy calls in to
him, trying to sound positive. "Riding high in
2002, shot down in 2007. That's life, as Sinatra
says. You were a puppet and a pawn to King Dick
and it screwed up your presidency and our party
and the Middle East and the Atlantic alliance and
the family legacy and Jeb's future, not to
mention the fate of the planet. But you can't
just roll yourself up in a big ball and die,
George. Your friend Vlad the Impaler is here, and
I think you should come out and talk to him. You
invited him and he came all the way from Russia,
and you don't want to be rude.

"I've already taken him to Mabel's Lobster Claw
and out on the boat. He scared all the fish away.
I don't know what else to do with him, George. He
brained the Filipino manservant, the little brown
one, with a horseshoe."

Putin steps forward. "Let me try," he tells Poppy.

"George, hey, it's me, Ostrich Legs, Pooty Poot.
Remember when you gave me those nicknames? Come
out, and I show you my real soul. Dark, dark,
dark. I put the Putin back in Rasputin. Listen,
Albania stinks. Maine much nicer. I saw Moose and
Squirrel in the woods. Let's throw horseshoes at
them! I love this American sport."

Tumbler burrows into Slumber. "Why doesn't
anybody like me anymore, Daddy?" he keens. "Man,
I miss Tony. My Iraq poodle left me with a
porcupine. And I can't believe my own Republicans
crossed me on the immigration bill. Now my
Mexican buddies from Midland are saying, 'Adiós,
Jorge.' Vice doesn't even want to be in the same
branch of government as me. Where is Dick, by the
way?"

His mother steps briskly up to the door. "Now
listen, Georgie," Barbara says. "We didn't invite
Dick. He's not our kind. He has utterly ruined
your presidency. There's a Washington Post series
I want you to read. I've put it in the kitchen by
your bowl of Cookie Crisps. It explains all about
how Dick played you for a fool on everything from
Iraq to capital gains. He set up the West Wing
paper flow in a way that undermined your goals
and advanced his. He let you act like you were
the Decider, dear, when you were really just the
Dupe."

W. howls, "Dick promised me I would never be a wimp and now I'm a wimp!"

Putin intervenes. "No, George, don't blame Dick,"
he says. "Dick good man. Shoots friend in face.
But Dick too soft. Friend lived. He needs put
more people in your Gitmo gulag, shut down
newspapers, kill more critics. I'll send you some
of my special polonium-210 pellets. They just
like Altoids, curiously strong."

Clarence Thomas rushes up to the door, black
robes flapping. "I got here as fast as I could,"
he assures Poppy, before yelling in to W.: "I'm
sorry about the Guantánamo decision. I don't know
what my brethren were thinking, applying the
Constitution to Cuba. What's law got to do with
it? I should have fought harder. I was a little
distracted by our decision to stop race from
being a factor in making schools racially
diverse. I needed to make sure that black
children all over America would have none of the
advantages I had."

Henry Kissinger oils his way across the floor.
"Mr. President," he rumbles through the door,
"it's not so bad bungling a war. I got to date
Jill St. John."

Condi joins the group, and wrinkles her nose at
Putin. He puts his arm around her and gives her
head a noogie. "When I said U.S. aggression is
like Third Reich," he tells her, with his most
charming K.G.B. smile, "I meant it in a good way."

Condi ignores him and coos to W.: "There's bad
news and good news, sir. Or maybe it's Vice
versa. Cheney's going to pardon Scooter. And the
Albanians have agreed to put your presidential
library in Tirana."