[Vision2020] [Bulk] Re: church and paintball

Paul Rumelhart godshatter at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 1 09:13:39 PDT 2007

In my opinion, as long as you have a good grasp of the line between
fantasy and reality it shouldn't be a problem.  In that respect, it's
like video games.

I've played paintball, and it has more in common with the old games we
used to play in the woods as boy scouts than it does with actual
military training or conditioning.  You know it's not real, which
completely changes the dynamic.  Nobody is drilling you, telling you how
you might just kill somebody if you screw up, nobody is making it plain
that other lives may one day depend upon your performance.  It's just fun.

A lot of companies use it as a team-building exercise, because (if you
want to win) it forces you to rely upon someone else and to be relied
upon to achieve a goal.  It also enhances your problem-solving skills.
I see no conflict with religious groups doing the same thing, myself.

Paul