[Vision2020] Reduce Iraq Focus

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jan 31 06:12:38 PST 2007

>From today's (January 31, 2007) "Letters" section of the Spokesman Review
with thanks to Malcolm Renfrew -

Reduce Iraq focus

President Bush made an earnest plea in his State of the Union address for
support of his reformed program in Iraq, but he has not persuaded the many
doubters who believe that more troops will just prolong our stay in Iraq
with greater loss of lives, crippling injuries and waste of money. The
president also did not ease fears that he may next increase our hazards by
joining the neo-cons and Israel in a decision for a pre-emptive bombing of
Iran.

A seldom mentioned problem with our training of Iraq's army is its major
enrollment of Shiites, who are reluctant warriors in facing Shiite militias.
If we are involved in attacking Iran, a Shiite country, Iraq's army might
well become part of the enemy.

It is unfortunate that the president has brushed off recommendations of the
Iraq Study Group for conversations with Syria and Iran as well as other
Middle Eastern countries. Diplomacy could help in making Iraq become a good
neighbor for all.

Reducing our involvement in Iraq may improve our effectiveness blocking the
rise of the Taliban in Afghanistan. There also will be greater opportunity
for bipartisan cooperation between Congress and the White House in attacking
other critical problems.

Malcolm M. Renfrew

What then if an American-trained predominantly-Shiite Iraqi army should
decide to attack US troops subsequent to a preemptive US strike on Iran?

Seeya round town, Moscow.

"Seldom, if ever, has a war ended leaving the victors with such a sense of
uncertainty and fear -- with such a realization that the future is obscure
and that survival is not assured."

- Edward R. Murrow