[Vision2020] Ninth Circuit rules against field burning

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Tue Jan 30 18:18:21 PST 2007

Court orders review of field burning

By Betsy Z. Russell
Staff writer
January 30, 2007

Field-burning has actually been illegal in Idaho
under federal law since 1993, a federal appeals
court ruled Tuesday.

"This decision shows that the handwriting is on
the wall for field-burning in Idaho," said David
Baron, a Washington, D.C. attorney with
Earthjustice, which represented Safe Air for
Everyone and the American Lung Association of
Idaho in the case against the U.S. Environmental
Protection Agency.

A unanimous three-judge panel of the 9th Circuit
U.S. Court of Appeals ruled in the groups' favor,
and ordered the EPA to reconsider SAFE's
challenge to a 2005 EPA decision approving
field-burning in the state.

Patti Gora, executive director of Sandpoint-based
SAFE, said, "The agency needs to get back to the
business of protecting human health. Š I hope
that we can come up with a solution that is
reasonable and works for people, so that they
really don't have to get in any more car crashes
or be taken to the hospital or miss work or flee
their homes. It's really a good day for those
people who have worked long and hard and given so
much to bring this to the attention of the folks
that it needed to get to."

The court ruled that Idaho's state plan for
implementing the federal Clean Air Act permitted
agricultural field-burning when it originally was
written in 1972, but deleted that section in
amendments approved in 1993. The EPA approved
amendments to Idaho's state plan in 2005 clearly
legalizing and regulating field-burning, and SAFE
challenged the decision. The agency said
field-burning had been legal all along in the
state, and the plan change was merely a
clarification.

Not so, the court found. The justices ruled that
Idaho's state plan - which has "the force and
effect of federal law" - clearly "did not permit
field burning" all those years.

"We're obviously disappointed in the decision,
and we'll be reviewing it to determine what our
course of action is," said Toni Hardesty,
director of the state Department of Environmental
Quality.

Cynthia Magnuson, a spokeswoman for the U.S.
Department of Justice, which represented the EPA
in the case, said, "The decision is still under
review, and we haven't determined how we'll
proceed at this point."

The EPA could ask for a rehearing by the entire
9th Circuit court, or could appeal the case to
the U.S. Supreme Court. If not, it would be
forced to reconsider the Idaho plan amendments
without the assumption that field-burning already
was legal - which would make the amendments much
harder to approve under federal law.

"Under the Clean Air Act, you can't backslide -
you can't have a level of pollution that's more
than you did," Gora said.

Baron said, "We think it's pretty clear EPA is
going to have to do a full clean air analysis of
this practice, and we don't see how, given the
facts, EPA can conclude that this practice is
consistent with the Clean Air Act."

Grass seed farmers on the Rathdrum Prairie burn
their fields each year to shock the plants into
producing another crop without replanting, a
practice that greatly increases the profitability
of the crop, but sends dense clouds of smoke
downwind.

SAFE was formed by a group of Sandpoint-area
physicians concerned about the effects of the
field-burning smoke on their patients who suffer
from respiratory problems. At least one death has
been attributed to smoke from prairie field
burning, in addition to thousands of
complaints.State lawmakers have rallied to
support the farmers, passing laws to ban nuisance
lawsuits against farmers over smoke and to
protect the farmers' right to burn their fields
as long as they comply with state
smoke-management rules.

SAFE, the Lung Association, and others have sued
repeatedly to stop the practice, but until now,
most of their legal challenges have ended in
defeat. A notable exception was a class-action
lawsuit against the farmers that resulted in a
big cash settlement last year to North Idaho and
eastern Washington residents with respiratory
problems who suffered from the smoke in specific
years, before state lawmakers moved to prevent
such lawsuits.

"We've had great moments, we've had moments of
great disappointment," Gora said. "But throughout
the whole time, our board has really been
convinced that we're doing the right thing. Š
Just all over the state, it's been a story of
immense suffering for well over 30, 40 years, and
it's time that the tide does turn."

Sen. Shawn Keough, R-Sandpoint, who herself
suffers from asthma, said she hoped the federal
court ruling would open a door to resolving the
issue in Idaho. "It gives us an opportunity to go
back to the table and look at ways to reduce the
impacts of field burning to Idahoans, hopefully
in a manner that keeps farmers farming," she said.

Baron noted that Washington phased out grass
field burning several years ago because of
concerns about its health effects. "It's a
practice that health and environmental officials
are increasingly recognizing as just not one
that's acceptable from a public health
standpoint," he said.

He added, "This is one of the most severe air
pollution conditions I've seen in litigating
clean air cases in almost 30 years. Š Here you
actually have a coroner saying that somebody's
cause of death was likely this kind of pollution.
And you have all these physicians in the area in
northern Idaho calling for an end to this
practice. It's pretty remarkable. I don't think
we've seen that anywhere else in the country."