[Vision2020] Media Watch

Don Coombs mushroom at moscow.com
Tue Jan 30 17:44:28 PST 2007

A good lead on page 1 in this morning's Lewiston Trib:

"The two land-grant universities on the Palouse have
continued to bleed students, according to head counts
on the 10th day of spring semester classes."

The second graph said UI was down 595 students
statewide from a year ago, WSU down 406 on its Pullman
campus.

Then the newspaper zinged the UI gently in the third
graph: "Officials at UI chose to focus on new student
numbers (which were up), with no mention of decreasing
enrollment in a news release."

I think it would be a better use of public money if the
UI issued useful news releases, rather than trying to
spin the news. The double-digit percentage increase in
new students is news, but nowhere near as important as
the total enrollment number. The news story (and
probably the news release) doesn't tell us how many new
students there are this semester or how many there were
a year ago, so a double-digit percentage increase may
not be many students at all.

Later in the story we find that WSU's enrollment is
21,694 at its four campuses, down 1 percent from a year
ago. Nowhere in the story do we find the total
enrollment or the percent of change for the UI.

Apparently the Trib came up with more information than
what was in the UI press release ("UI lost 595
students") but not the numbers which would have made
that information meaningful.

Don Coombs