[Vision2020] shool district levy

Tom Ivie the_ivies3 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 26 13:04:28 PST 2007

I decided to ask some questions from a school board representative because I was uncertain about the levy meant.  I thought I would share what I found out.

The school district needs to run a supplemental levy to support programs that  enhance basic education. The state funding only covers the basic programs such  as math, English, reading, science, and social studies. In addition, there are  some items that are required by the state and federal government, yet they are  not funded. (Unfunded mandates.)

Two interesting things that I discovered are: 1. Moscow's teachers aren't paid any differently than other teachers in Idaho at comparative sized school districts (often a misconception) and 2. The tax shift by the previous Governor shifted the taxes that are used for public education from property taxes to the sales tax (as property values rose, so did the funds available -it can be argued that since property values are a strong component of cost of living, inflation, etc. that it helped to adjust the school districts funds to the cost of inflation).

If anyone has any other information that would be useful in deciding why I should vote for the levy, I would be more than happy to hear it.  -Tom