[Vision2020] Ice Rink - Some light on why it is located at the Fairgrounds

Chris Storhok cstorhok at co.fairbanks.ak.us
Thu Jan 25 13:19:36 PST 2007

April,
I don't think the fairgrounds are too small, just poorly laid out.  The
riding arena is a great example of the poor design; what if local riders
were to work with the ice rink folks to design a more efficient lay out.
Both facilities can share the same parking areas, bathrooms, concession
stands, and small meeting rooms.  Turn the riding arena 90 degrees, add
in the correct infrastructure to support loading and unloading,
handling, add better soils and so forth I know a nice riding arena/rodeo
grounds can easily become part of the fairgrounds.

As for exhibition halls for the 4-H groups, I am very sure that if an
indoor ice rink/convention center/exhibit hall was designed correctly
that facility would once again allow better displays of 4-H projects.

I really believe that if a good master plan were prepared by qualified
architects who listen well to the various user groups, neighbors, and
the general public; a nice fully functional fairground can come out the
current problems.  There is more than enough acreage on the site and
plenty of street parking to support the fair, the site works.

I have hunch that for a few million dollars the county can take care of
the deficiencies of the current fairgrounds and maintain the unique
nature of the fairgrounds.  The other alternative is just too expensive
with too little of a return on the investment.

Chris S.