[Vision2020] Historians in the News

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Jan 25 11:31:09 PST 2007

Greetings:

As usual, I learn from Keely every time she
writes wisely about Christianity.  For what it's
worth, you can read about the reasons why I did
not use the term "fundamentalism" in my book God,
Reason, and the Evangelicals at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre.htm.  Click out
the first chapter, as well as any other chapter
that may interest you.  You can also read why I
think the term "evangelical" does not fit Doug
Wilson at www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/evang.htm.

In the book I'm now writing "The Origins of
Religious Violence," I've found that calling
Muslim radicals "evangelicals" just doesn't sound
right, so I have returned, as all other scholar
have done, to "fundamentalism" to describe the
parallels I detect between "Christian
nationalists and reconstructionists" and Islamic
fundamentalists.  You can read my essay "Chilling
Parallels between Christian and Islamic
Fundamentlists" at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/parallels.htm.  Doug
Wilson & Co. are exhibit #1 in the case I make there.

Nick Gier, intolerista par excellence
Intolerance is a virtue if one is intolerant of
bigotry, discrimination, dishonesty, ugly manners, and deception

At 11:10 AM 1/25/2007, you wrote:
>Well, I'd love to hear from Genovese himself on
>this one.  I'm sure he would also agree with me
>that  "fundamentalist" is not an accurate
>description of Wilson's theology.  Wilson's
>theology generally embraces the historically
>agreed-upon fundamental doctrines of the
>Christian faith, but adds to them some doctrinal
>perspectives that historical and contemporary
>"fundamentalists" would find repugnant.
>
>The term "fundamentalist" means much more than
>assent or opposition to specific doctrines,
>however.  From both a historical and a religious
>perspective, it also encompasses a worldview
>that disdains modernism, higher education, and
>culture while exhibiting a fairly rigid legalism
>(don't drink, don't smoke, don't dance,
>etc.).  I could argue that Wilson dislikes
>modernism in some forms, seems to find nothing
>of value in either higher secular education or
>even evangelical seminaries other than his own,
>and spends a lot of time mocking contemporary
>culture, but your daddy's fundamentalists would
>be aghast at his enthusiasm for the finer things
>of gastronomy, art, literature and bacchanalia.
>
>That said, William Ramsey is one of my heroes
>for his work in exposing the academic dreck that
>is "Southern Slavery As It Was" and "Black and
>Tan," and for calling a paleo- or
>neo-Confederate spade a spade.  Thanks, Dr. Ramsey.
>
>Now, let's hope Dr. Genovese will enlighten us
>and then face honest critique from whatever side
>he angers with his views.  Any hope that Wilson
>himself would repudiate his earlier work seems
>to be as unlikely as, well, a slave in the
>American South feeling affirmed and secure in
>his participation in the quintessential American
>example of Biblical Christianity Wilson insists was the case.
>
>keely
>

>From: "News of Christ Cult" <news-of-christ-cult at lycos.com>
>To: <Vision2020 at moscow.com>
>Subject: [Vision2020] Historians in the News
>Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:52:33 -0500 (EST)
>
>    http://hnn.us/roundup/entries/31873.html
>
>Historians in the NewsEugene Genovese:  An Idaho
>pastor accused of racism claims Genovese backs his view of slavery
>Source: Email to HNN by William L. Ramsey,
>assistant professor of history at the University
>of Idaho  (11-15-06)Fundamentalist
>Pastor Douglas Wilson of Moscow, Idaho, may have fallen short in his
>first attempt to overturn the last fifty years of academic scholarship
>on slavery, which he has described variously as “abolitionist
>propaganda” and “civil rights propaganda,” but he intends to win the
>war. A supportive comment from !
>  Eugene Genovese on the back cover of
>Wilson’s new self-published book on slavery, Black and Tan, appears to
>be the center- piece of the new battle plan.
>

>The “blurb” has been doing yeomen’s duty in fundamentalist and
>neo-Confederate circles for the past year, but it saw its first service
>in mainstream public dialogue recently when Pastor Wilson published a
> [...]

"Truth is the summit of being; justice is the
application of it to human affairs."
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Abstract truth has no value unless it incarnates
in human beings who represent it, by proving their readiness to die for it."
  --Mohandas Gandhi

"Modern physics has taught us that the nature of
any system cannot be discovered by dividing it
into its component parts and studying each part
by itself. . . .We must keep our attention fixed
on the whole and on the interconnection between
the parts. The same is true of our intellectual
life. It is impossible to make a clear cut
between science, religion, and art. The whole is
never equal simply to the sum of its various parts." --Max Planck

Nicholas F. Gier
Professor Emeritus, Department of Philosophy, University of Idaho
1037 Colt Rd., Moscow, ID 83843
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/home.htm
208-882-9212/FAX 885-8950
President, Idaho Federation of Teachers, AFL-CIO
http://users.adelphia.net/~nickgier/ift.htm