[Vision2020] Compassion for All Life

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Thu Jan 25 09:41:13 PST 2007

Greetings:

If "significant cognitive functioning" (beautiful
description of the traditional view!) is not the
way we sort out persons from non-persons, then
please join with me in extending unconditional
compassion to all the animals that are killed
every day to feed the several billion carnivorous maws all over the world.

This is an unnecessary slaughter because we can
grow complete vegetable protein at a much lower
cost and with much less damage to the
environment.  Just as the earth and its
atmosphere cannot bear developing countries
owning as many cars as we do, neither can the
earth bear the increased meat consumption that
these countries are experiencing.

Both addictions, one to oil and the other to
animal flesh, will be the end of us.  Millions of
acres of the Amazonian rain forest are cut ever
year to make way for raising beef cattle, pouring
tons of CO2 and CH4 (from bovine stomachs) into the air.

If the tradition distinction between persons and
non-persons is ignored, then the only moral
option is to recognize that all life has a serious moral right to live.

Veggie Burgers Forever!

Nick Gier