[Vision2020] The IACI and Personal Property Tax

g. crabtree jampot at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 23 07:28:51 PST 2007

When we purchase merchandise for resale, it is tax exempt. Sales tax will be
collected on it at point of sale. Technically, when we purchase items in the
community for business use it could be tax exempt but we, and I suspect
most, small business don't fool around with it. Too much additional record
keeping.

Personal property items can be depreciated.

In our case, use tax covers consumable items. Chemicals, lubricants, small
parts (pins, washers, screws, etc.) that are necessary to do our job and not
accounted for in some other way. This is taxed at the same rate as sales
(6%)

When we work in Washington everything (labor & all materials) are taxed at
.078% and, of course this entails a completely separate set of reports and
forms.

When it comes time to pay the various taxes we, and again I suspect most
small operators, prefer to err on the slightly (very slightly) high side to
prevent running afoul of the powers that be. Think good luck offering.

The information that I've laid out in these posts is but a skeletal
thumbnail sketch of the rules and regulations for recording and reporting
the various (federal, state, county, city) taxes small business people pay.
For brevity, I haven't gone into any of the byzantine details. On top of
that realize that most of us who deal with this are just guys who, out of a
clear blue sky got dropped into a position of having to deal with this
nightmare, we're not accountants. If anything I have said is incorrect, it's
not for want of trying to get it right.