[Vision2020] More on the ice rink

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Mon Jan 22 10:09:52 PST 2007

A major issue (aside from Joel, Randy and Gary) is the difference in
infrastructure capacity between the city and county. Latah County has
no road or street responsibilities as that is covered by the North
and South Latah Highway Districts. The city has a full street
department. Beyond issues of staffing, it means there are very
different revenue streams to tap for things like small paving
projects. Put simply, the city has a budget, the county does not. The
only source of possible funding for the county to pave the ice rink
lot is the fairgrounds budget (a mix of property tax revenues and
user fees) or the parks and rec budget (property taxes) Both property
tax levies are limited by state law making fairground user fees the
likely source which would mean a lot of community groups would have
to pony up a lot more money to use the fairgrounds for meetings, etc.
Which begs the question, why is this paving necessary? The lot is
either frozen or wet during the winter use months so dust can't be
the issue. I say leave it as it is and move on to something that
matters.

Mark