[Vision2020] If You Look Young, Don't Buy Spray Paint ;-)

Andreas Schou ophite at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 12:02:43 PST 2007

On 1/20/07, heirdoug at netscape.net <heirdoug at netscape.net> wrote:
> Thank you Keely, Saundra, and Bill,
>
> For making my point.
>
> I have one question. Could either of you three individually, or as a
> chorus, please define "legitimate speech"? And is "that qualifier"
> found some where in the Constitiution? (I guess that would be two
> questions)

Doug --

Legitimate speech is when I mail you a letter. However, if I wrap that
letter around a brick and throw it through your living room window,
I've crossed a line from *telling you something* to *damaging your
property*. What is criminal about graffiti is that it damages
property, not that it says something illegal; likewise, what is
criminal about malicious harassment is that it expresses a specific
intent to harm, not that it says something that the state determines
shall not be said.

-- ACS