[Vision2020] Legislative Update III from Rep. Trail

ttrail at moscow.com ttrail at moscow.com
Fri Jan 19 22:52:55 PST 2007

LEGISLATIVE NEWSLETTER III -- JANUARY 14-19/2007

Constituents:

Boise remains in the cold grip of our icebox deep freeze.  We've had this
situation for almost three weeks.  Temperatures have dropped down to almost
zero, and the temperatures are generally 10-15 degrees below normal.  The
cultural highlights of the week to come are Al Gore on Climate Warming and
Garrison Keillor of Prairie Home Companion.  And, of course, the political
climate will start warming up as details of the education budgets and those
of other agencies are detailed out.   There is also increasing friction
between Governor Otter and the Legislature with the Governor stopping work
on the two proposed underground office wings approved by the Legislature
last session.

So on to some highlights of Week Two:

 1.  Education Budget  --  Superintendent Tom Luna's Education Budget
generally received high marks from both the Democrats and the Republicans.
 He is proposing a seven percent increase in the budget and a total of
almost $1.2 billion.   The most controversial proposal is the three percent
increase in compensation for teachers.  The increase must be built into the
base.   When one takes a look at the 3.8% increase in the inflation rate
for the past year, it appears that some teachers may receive less than they
did a year ago.  However, all teacher contracts are negotiated on a
district by district basis.   Mr. Luna will present his budget details this
coming week.

      The Superintendent targeted over $18 million for more classroom
supplies, books, and college level high school courses as part of his
classroom enhancement package.   He wants to pay for up to 12 credits of
college level course work, taken during the junior and senior years of high
school.  These would be for high achievement students.   New teachers would
start at $31,000/year  --  a $1,000 increase.  Teachers would receive $350
for classroom supplies.   The Superintendent will also form a study group
to see how rural school districts can be assisted.  I was pleased to see
that he had added $500,000 in his request for the Gifted and Talented
Program.  I was also glad to see that Mr. Luna is putting in $6 million in
remediation for students who fail the ISAT.  There still needs to be more
support for the technology line item.

 2.  Higher Education Budget  --  Governor Otter has proposed a 13 percent
increase for Higher Education.   The one issue I have is the 5 percent
salary increase for state employees.  He wants employees to pick up more of
their health insurance.   If this increase is combined with last year's
inflation rate of 3.8% then university faculty and staff will not be much
ahead of compensation for last year.

The Governor recommended $15 million for research.   This would be
available on a grant basis for all of the universities.   The Governor also
recommended $10.9 million to start the University of Idaho Livestock and
Environmental Center.

 3.  Medicaid Program Returns $12 million to the State -- One of the most
surprising and pleasant news items was the fact that the Medicaid Program
is returning about $12 million to the state treasury.   Usually the state
has to come up with extra funds to keep the program afloat.   Officials
credit a strong economy and the impact of savings from the new Medicare
Part D prescription program.

 4.  Plans to Increase Idaho Math and Science Requirements  --   The Senate
Ed Committee voted 8-1 and the House Ed Committee voted 16-2 to increase
the requirements.  This would require students starting in the class of
2013 to take at least three years of math and three years of science to
graduate from high school.   Students will still have flexibility to choice
electives.   Currently, there are four districts that require four years of
math and science (three of the districts are rural).

 5.  Dog Fighting/Felony Legislation  --  I will be introducing a bill that
would call for a felony penalty for anyone who is found guilty of
participating, training, and organizing dog fights.   Latah County
Prosecutor, Bill Thompson, explained that with the felony law, law
enforcement can pursue guilty parties across state lines.  Idaho and
Wyoming are the only two states not to have this penalty on the books.
I've received over 10,000 letters supporting this legislation.

 6.  Legalizing the Growing of Industrial Hemp  --  I will be introducing a
resolution to be sent to our Congressional Delegation encouraging
congressional action to legalize the growing of industrial hemp.   This
appears to be a good time since DEA has worked out an agreement to allow N.
Dakota farmers to grow the crop.  We import all of our industrial hemp from
Europe, China, and Canada.  It is the most profitable crop in Canada.

 7.  Reauthorization of the 2007 Farm Bill  --  As Chairman of the House Ag
Affairs Committee, I will be attending a national meeting in Washington,
D.C. January 26-29 meeting with USDA officials and Idaho's Congressional
Delegation.   All state house and senate ag chairs will be at the meeting.

That winds up the report for this week.   I like to receive your comments
and recommendations.  My e mail is ttrail at house.idaho.gov and my desk phone
is 208-332-1260.

Rep. Tom Trail