[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White (January 19, 2007)

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jan 19 13:45:09 PST 2007

Copied and pasted below is the UI Friday Letter from UI President Tim White
for January 19, 2007.

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends Jan. 19, 2007

Dear Friends,

Next week, I look forward to delivering our annual presentation for state
support to the Idaho legislature. We have much to be proud of and excited
about as the University's renaissance continues to unfold.

On Tuesday morning at 8 a.m. (MST), I will present our strong and inspiring
case to the Joint Finance and Appropriations Committee (JFAC). My
presentation will be posted afterward on my Web page, and there are a
limited number of audio connections available during the hearing at
http://idahoptv.org/idreports/LegislatureLive.cfm.

At other times during the week, colleagues will present on behalf of
specific University programs, including the WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming,
Alaska, Montana, Idaho) medical education program, agriculture research and
extension, forest utilization research and the Idaho Geological Survey. I am
both pleased and proud that the majority of our student leaders also will
descend on the Capitol next week. Each year, they tell our story powerfully
and personally to legislators, while also learning first-hand about the
political process that leads, ultimately, to our state appropriation.

In this legislative session we will face many new members of JFAC, giving us
"teachable moments" to inform the new lawmakers of our strengths,
contributions to Idaho and aspirations for the future. It also is a year in
which there seems to be an increase in the number of requests being made for
funds, particularly for "one-time" monies. So we work hard before, during
and after the formal presentations to help drive success.

But we are optimistic going into these sessions, because at the University
of Idaho education matters. Our case is strong, and our approach is guided
by the fact we lead the state in key academic indicators: graduation rates,
degrees awarded, students' academic qualifications, our impact on the
economy and communities and research expenditures.

If you are close to Boise next week, please join us on the fourth floor of
the Capitol building on Wednesday morning from 7:30 to 11 a.m. for Idaho
Day. Our students, faculty and staff have prepared innumerable displays and
stories that demonstrate to citizens and legislators alike the powerful
return on investments made in the University of Idaho. I hope to visit with
you then.

Tim White
President

Here's the latest news from the University of Idaho:

Judith Totman Parrish, dean of the University of Idaho's College of Science
and professor of geological sciences, has announced she will step down from
administrative duties and return full time to teaching and research on July
1. "I am honored to have led the college at a critical and exciting time,"
said Parrish. "We have had the opportunity to hire new faculty, and add
depth of scholarship in exciting areas such as nanoscience, evolution and
bioinformatics, bioorganic and biophysical chemistry, biophysics, landscape
geography and mathematics." Provost and Executive Vice President Doug Baker
will visit with the college's faculty, staff and students, as well as the
advisory board of the College, to discuss desired attributes and the search
process for the next dean.

George M. Klein '36 of Boise made a $50,000 commitment to the University of
Idaho to create the George M. Klein Athletes in Agriculture Scholarship
Endowment. This scholarship will support deserving intercollegiate
student-athletes majoring in the College of Agricultural and Life Sciences.
George wants to give back to his college and to the athletes at the
University of Idaho. By creating this scholarship he will accomplish both of
those goals. For more information about donating to the College of
Agricultural and Life Sciences, contact Mary Hasenoehrl at (208) 885-6681 or
donate online at www.uidaho.edu/give.

Seeya round town, Moscow.

Take care, Vandals.

UI '96

Came a tribe from the north brave and bold . . .

"Here We Have Idaho"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/HWHI.mp3

"I-D-A-H-O Idaho Idaho Go Go Go"
http://www.tomandrodna.com/Vandals.mp3