[Vision2020] The Bible, Map or Territory

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 19 12:53:46 PST 2007

If one stands on a tall local hill and gazes out over the Palouse. And then,
take a map out and hold it up in comparison . The maps reality and the
Palouse reality are a whole lot different. The map not being the territory
if you will. In my opinion this is the degree of accuracy that the bible or
any other religious works used as guides in life have to reality. The bible
is a print made by man. It is not reality but a guide like attempt at
describing something. That something is a whole lot bigger than us and built
all that is to be found, Its all around and interacts with all things. I am
an advocate of measuring things and my opinion is that our provably best
tools of measuring reality can be found in science and not blind faith to an
old map.
As far as I know, science was born from religious questioning and when the
most recent measurements show that the original cartographers were off a
long way, so what of it. I’ll use a micrometer to measure the world with
accuracy over a string or my foot any day. That is until a measuring tool
that is more accurate comes along. (and that has already happened).
I can go along with the willing seller and willing buyer concept of letting
people choose religion or belief.
If I have a trouble with Christ Church. It is mostly when they take actions
as if they are at war with others and use their bible as a map to justify
that. I would respectfully ask them to retract that sort of thinking and
regroup. Odds seem to be against me and anyone who thinks otherwise. That is
the problem with the situation. If they didn’t project that they were in a
war, they would find that they are not in a war. Sort of like Bush in that
respect. Not that there isn’t a world to contend with and there are a lot of
closed minds, all sides involved
My present case opinion is that any real measure into how the Christian
bible was assembled, one has to come away questioning the foundation of the
document. Seeing it as the only map of reality mandated by a word of god
makes one a simple victim of branding. And provably so.
Within the willing seller willing buyer world, we see all kinds of branding.
The Vandals over the Bronco’s. Chevy over ford. Shindaiwa over
Huskvarna….DelMonty . So they are innocent by that standard or only as
guilty as any of us.
Part of the whole function of living for humans is to project fanciful
mystery into the future and follow it. Unlike animals, as far as we know.
Persons can project in their present case minds just what they might do next
week, or next year. Unfortunately that natural specialization can cause
whole visions of forward projection and a vast writhing construct in the
head are still only a map to get to someplace and when getting there, things
are always different than we think its going to be. Because the silly map
gets confused for reality. That ability is the whole reason we are
successful at wrecking the planet, to fit our mental view, instead of
meeting it on its terms.
Life is what happens to us when we are making other plans, said one lovely
fellow.
The same guy got all beat up because he confirmed that it seemed as if his
band was more popular than Jesus. He was of course correct in recognizing
the effect of branding and guilty of nothing in his measurement of
observation.

Good bye Leroy.

Dave