[Vision2020] water

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Thu Jan 18 19:09:30 PST 2007

Without even reading the article, I second the comment that "not all growth
is bad."  Most of us understand that.

Many of us also think that studying the feasibility of a reservoir is an
important pro-growth and sustainability step.

But the best news from your post (and apparently in the DN article I haven't
read yet) is that some of the constant drumbeat on discussion of our water
"issue" is resulting in needed conservation.  Recall the discussions last
spring about a "water budget" and the incredible fact that Seattle actually
cut its water usage substantially, while growing substantially.  We can do
that here, too, simply by becoming more judicious in our use of water, and
in getting efficient sprinkler systems and drip lines installed in the
places that we do not xeriscape.  (Maybe you know someone who can do that
for people, eh?)

One last comment, I am not sure of the feasibility of using a drinking water
reservoir for recreational purposes.  Seems to me that in at least two
places where I've lived that recreational use, swimming anyway, was
definitely not allowed.  But I don't hold myself out as an expert on what
can be done with drinking water reservoirs, and certainly hiking around them
and fishing in them would seem to be distinct possibilities.

Bruce Livingston