[Vision2020] Wolves

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Thu Jan 18 07:40:47 PST 2007

This note may not be necessary, but:

Whenever menaced or watched by a nonhuman predator, do not run!*  When a possible prey runs from a predator, then it becomes actual prey in the eyes of the predator.  If attacked, except by a grizzly bear, make your size larger (not unlike a house cat when attacked) and fight back.  With grizzlies, some times they charge, then veer off at the last second and keep on moving.  If they attack, the best chance for survival is to curl up and play dead.

Yes, wolves, cougars, bears, etc do on rare occasions attack and kill humans, but not as often as some breeds of domestic dogs and certainly not nearly as often as other humans.  Bovine bulls also attack and kill humans.  When their young are threatened, their food supply in lean times are threatened, when tormented, or when in the rut, even cervine beasts can attack and occasionally kill -- the most common examples are persons attacked by elk or moose mothers with young, male elk or moose in the rut,  moose in the winter protecting a food supply, and elk/moose just tormented/chased by a snowmobile or ATV.  (In the latter case, I always root for the elk/moose.)

Alertness and intelligent behavior can reduce the probability of being attacked by a predator or a non-predator protecting something.

W.

*Even a lumbering black bear can outrun the fastest horse over short distances.