[Vision2020] Doug Wilson Interview

Chasuk chasuk at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 21:02:22 PST 2007

On 1/17/07, keely emerinemix <kjajmix1 at msn.com> wrote:

> Men at Christ Church are indisputably considered differently from women, and I see no examples of that difference of consideration leading to greater opportunities for women, regardless of their Spirit-given gifts.  That women may not serve on the board of Logos school is one example of avenues of leadership not available to women.  There are many others , and Wilson seems proud of his conclusions.  That his wife is a strong, capable woman isn't in question, nor does anyone wonder if he treats her well.  What we dispute is that this benign and unquestioned feeling of mutual appreciation across gender lines has no real implications that can only be considered sexist.

I agree with you, keely, 100%, but theological/humanistic disagreement
isn't the point.  Rather, it is choosing battles, and choosing foes.
Many denominations marginalize women.  Southern Baptists almost
universally exclude women as pastors, as do Roman Catholics, and
Mormons.  No one spends much time criticizing St. Mary's.

If I believed that trading barbs with the Kirkers would suddenly make
them all switch to my modern point of you, then I would join Tom, and
J Ford, and others, tomorrow.  However, it serves only to divide, with
no healing in sight.  While I am not religious, I do believe in the
the ethic of reciprocity (AKA, Golden Rule), and in the promotion of
harmony.

Thank you for the reasoned debate, and for your kind words earlier.  I
also value you for your intelligence, for your gentility, and your
friendship.

Chas