[Vision2020] Doug Wilson Interview

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Wed Jan 17 15:53:11 PST 2007

Chas is someone I hold in high regard for his intellect, kindness, and his
attempt to be fair in regard to Doug Wilson.  Nonetheless, I fear he's been
misled.  Chas correctly exegetes the verse from Ephesians 5 -- it's
submission "one to another," and if women are the only ones to submit, then,
according to the structure of the verse, only men must exercise love in
marriage.  No one would argue that's the case; rhetorically and logically, a
parallel construction has applications consistent within its structure and
not only in a single direction.

My question to Chas, and indirectly (this time) to Wilson, is this:  If
submission in your household is mutual, and roles are equal but different,
why then are men referred to as the "head" of the household and, further,
are conferred leadership status, opportunities, and privileges by virtue of
their maleness?  Please don't suggest that the Bible indisputably teaches
male headship  -- there are multitudinous evangelical studies that indicate
that "kephale" in the Greek means "source," not "leader."   Men at Christ
Church are indisputably considered differently from women, and I see no
examples of that difference of consideration leading to greater
opportunities for women, regardless of their Spirit-given gifts.  That women
may not serve on the board of Logos school is one example of avenues of
leadership not available to women.  There are many others , and Wilson seems
proud of his conclusions.  That his wife is a strong, capable woman isn't in
question, nor does anyone wonder if he treats her well.  What we dispute is
that this benign and unquestioned feeling of mutual appreciation across
gender lines has no real implications that can only be considered sexist.

I've written a lot about evangelical feminism, and I identify myself as a
Biblical egalitarian.  If Wilson is so fond of equality and opportunity for
women, then why doesn't he so identify?  I know the answer -- he believes
that feminism is a particularly odious -ism, the embracing of which
precludes attendance, for example, at NSA -- but I ask that he be entirely
honest.  His view of gender roles has implications he'd like to ignore.  I'm
asking that Chas not make that mistake, and I implore readers to think it
through as well.  If you revere the Bible as God's word and the standard of
conduct and doctrine for believers, be assured that the full testimony
affirms full egalitarianism; if the Bible is simply an interesting
collection of stories, then be assured that Wilson's seemingly benign view
of gender roles is, upon reflection, as incorrect and bothersome as any
other form of sexism should be considered.

Again, I have a lot of respect for Chas, and it's because of that that I ask
him to consider the PR aspect of dealing with Wilson.  What you get
face-to-face is always more charming than what drips from his pen in the
company of the other boys at the fieldhouse.

keely