[Vision2020] Moscow's Growth Policies Don't ApplytoWhitman(ordothey?)

david sarff davesway at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 21:21:16 PST 2007

Hello Kai,
Some years ago, during the great terrorism scare of the late 1800’s , when
Chief Joseph and Looking Glass were on the rampage and the locals were
engaged in practicing homeland security. My Great, Great, Grandparents had
come up the river earlier because congress told the public that the property
of the west was open to them. Not to long after they built along the river
the family was brought into Colfax for their protection. They were very
frightened about the situation as the US Army tended to there usual work,
doing their jobs, representing the country and unfortunately chasing around
and killing a bunch of really quite innocent folks, and calling it a war.
After the Army got things all nice and secure , setting up some forts here
and there. The US citizens and my family continued to go about their
business and exploit the resources as they were led to believe that
everything was on the up n up.  And you know, not much seems to have
changed, including people with attitudes like yours.
My local family stomping grounds runs up the river from the ocean to about
Palouse falls, then up to Sandpoint and back down to the North Fork. There
are a couple homesteads underwater and one under PFI. If you haven’t
noticed, the fishing has been real bad for a considerable period of time and
the eels are completely gone. The soil has gotten damp enough that the few
fish left swim over it.
Four generations have been in Moscow proper. If you get buried in any
cemetery in Latah county, you can thank one of my granddads, Clarence Jenks,
for setting up the county districts. He was a Moscow Chamber pres and
printer for the Daily Star and Queen city printing,  If you meet, I’m
certain you’ll get along with him quite well…His better half is simply
wonderful.
He said that the "City with a Smile" slogan was rues. I see that the signs
have been removed. Kind of metaphorical, really.

  I grew up in town and got side tracked by my very good high school ag
instructor, Kirk Rush. He helped me acquire my first full time job for
Moscow Implement, selling parts. That was my first serious infusion into the
ag community. After that I went to collage at LCSC. Out of that went to work
for State Tractor with Gary Crabtree. Not much real ag stuff going on there,
but some( and it gets him in the story). Durring the 80’s I had and auto
repair shop in town. Some of the customers were farmers as well as freands.
They always need some kind of help, particularly at harvest time.
In the 90’s I worked four years at Columbia Tractor.
I can repair and operate just about anything you can think of and have
worked for a handful of farmers in a variety of different capacities. Over
the years I’ve had plenty of experience with the ag community. They have one
hell of a hard row to hoe and I have seen it up close and personal.
  My present volunteer activities include native plant regeneration with the
Palouse Prairie Foundation.
With that group I sometimes volunteer work to do preservation work with the
local endangered native plant community ( and the Great White Worm). There
are farmers that attend that group. We talk about dirt...
There is a member in the group named Maynard Fosberg who is a retired soil
scientist. I’m confident that he has the kind of authority your looking for.
As far as my ears and eyes can tell, soil conditions are continuing to
decline and if you want a good description of soil health in just about any
region of the world, then I’m certain he’d love to bend your ear a bit, if
you were to look for him.
Almost all farms are *Not* operating their land sustainably and its not
entirely their fault. The soils are completely addicted to chemicals and the
crops to gene pool juggling.
If you want a good definition and read that reflects my idea of just what
constitutes sustainability,  I recommend reading the works of Bill Mollison.
Speaking of Coyote stories, the Nez Perce Nation has been here a bit longer
than any settlers family you can find.
I  accept their ideas about how the land (and the rivers) should sustainably
treated.
Maybe will see you at the spring Pow Wow. We can talk about the land and
supporting property rights.
Dave