[Vision2020] development (was Brady)

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Mon Jan 15 13:11:39 PST 2007

It wasn't my intention to suggest that you were too dense to understand the
issue, Anita.  My thought was that sometimes opponents of the developments
there were not as clear as they could be.  No offense intended.

It might surprise you to know that I have no problem with James Toyota
relocating there; with Moscow's city limit kissing the state line on the
west and not much development potential east, it's hardly a surprise that
the dealership, wanting to grow and to serve both communities, would expand
into Washington.  Short of taking over the Applebee's parking lot, it's all
they can do.  If, for example, the state line were equidistant between
Moscow and Pullman, I'd be willing to bet that they'd prefer to be in Idaho.
  It isn't, though, and if they want to expand, their options are limited.
I wish James Toyota could go someplace else, because I like the idea of
keeping Moscow and Pullman separated by farmlands.  It's not likely to
happen, though, given that the only significant traffic into Moscow is
either from 95 south or the Pullman Road, which allows no "in-Idaho"
expansion to the west.

I don't understand your concern about coffee shops downtown.  I realize that
Moscow's economic future is greatly enhanced but not utterly dependent on
small, locally-owned businesses.  What makes Moscow as wonderful as it is is
the proliferation of people-oriented, walkable, locally-owned outlets that
appear to not only exist, but thrive.  But downtown doesn't meet every need
people have, and the options appear to be either consume less (not likely
for most people), shop online (and direct all dollars out of our community),
or allow for retail expansion, which keeps at least some money around here.
I intend to buy all of my home improvement products from Moscow Building
Supply regardless of how many Lowe's and Home Depots are built here, but if
there were no MBS, I'd rather shop at the nationally-owned stores than go
online for, say, replacement hardware for my vintage cabinets.

I'm not an economist, and my liberal tendencies don't incline towards
assuming that all development is bad (that high school thing, again!), but
it's a tricky issue and I don't think the City Council and other
environmental/community activists' concerns can be easily dismissed by
charges that they're just "no-growth zealots."  Likewise, all development,
like all economic growth, isn't good.  I'm glad we have people who care
enough to fight what they see as harmful, even if we ultimately disagree.

So, again -- sorry I offended you.  I sense that offering to buy you a latte
downtown probably isn't something you'd welcome, but the offer is sincere.

keely