[Vision2020] Why I didn't vote for Brady

Ted Moffett starbliss at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 14:29:35 PST 2007

All-

Anyone who has studied pathological personalities can tell you that some of
the most deceptive and dangerous people can look you straight in a eye,
shake your hand firmly, while they engage in the most self conscious lies
imaginable.  A politician may also appear commanding in person, firm
handshake and all, and still kowtow to polls, popularity or their biggest
campaign donors or lobbyists.  This is the reality of political life, and
firm handshakes are just part of this game.  And don't forget the baby
kissing!

>From "Animals" by Pink Floyd:

After a while you can work on points for style
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake
A sudden look in the eye, and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to
So that when they turn their backs on you
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

http://www.ingsoc.com/waters/personal/animals.html

Phil Rose explains that, "the dog suggests that eventually the attacker can
adopt a deceitful, businesslike persona – characterized by a deceptively
friendly 'look in the eye', and a fraudulent smile that can be called upon
whenever necessary."

In short, I would neither reject nor approve of a politician based on a
whether or not they had a firm handshake or looked someone directly in the
eye.

Want politicians to me more honest?  Lessen the domination of political life
by big money; campaign donations, lobbyists, corporate revolving doors
between the private sector and political office, etc.  To discover what
loyalties a politician has that will dictate their conduct in office, follow
the money trail that got them into office.  This will be one of the most
reliable measures of how they will conduct themselves.
Ted Moffett