[Vision2020] Wolves (was Re: Legislative Update II from Rep. Trail)

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Sat Jan 13 23:36:12 PST 2007

In the Clearwater country the additional factor beyond wolves and
hunting pressure is  re-growth of the country burned by the 1910
fire. The fire opened up an historically disproportionate amount of
land for browse when it burned off the trees and came back as brush.
Most of it was burned hard enough that it's taken almost a 100 years
for the trees to reassert themselves in the burned areas with the
consequent reduction in forage for elk. In the natural world
undisturbed by man there would have been a gradual re-balancing of
brush and trees with subsequent fires keeping a mosaic of trees and
openings slowly moving through the forest and providing a somewhat
steady supply of young brush for elk forage. However the Forest
Service response to the 1910 fires was a policy of total suppression
of wildfire. More trees, less brush as the old fire scar slowly
recovers. Less brush means less forage means less elk. Logging to
create brush openings doesn't work either as the roads to and through
the logging units decrease the secure areas elk (and all the other
critters of the forest) need to successfully produce and rear young.

Killing wolves will not change the equation. Elk hunters in the
Clearwater have been in a fire and man-caused bubble that has broken
and no amount of wolf killing will make it whole again.

Mark