[Vision2020] Moscow's Growth Policies Don't Apply to Whitman (or dothey?)

Bruce and Jean Livingston jeanlivingston at turbonet.com
Sat Jan 13 14:45:35 PST 2007

Donovan, I agree that striving for alternative water sources, such as a reservoir, is an idea worth pursuing.

I am not sure that your notion, to tax new businesses and secure new water with those funds, is realistic, as the potential sources of water other than a reservoir are not readily available and would be tremendously expensive if they were.  Simply put, depending on where you were suggesting we find this new water, it may not be made accessible based only on some new taxes from businesses.  The cost of transporting water from the Snake or Palouse Rivers may not be met by any amount of new businesses.  The water in our local aquifers cannot be limitless, and what science there is on the topic supports the idea that the aquifers are decreasing, not increasing.  So your increased supply analogy may be nigh impossible to achieve in a cost effective manner.

That being said, a reservoir has a great deal of promise, seems potentially feasible, and ought to be pursued.  Admittedly, a reservoir is a more limited "increased supply" solution than the old idea of tapping the Snake River. But tapping the Snake is probably not economically feasible and may not be legally feasible, either, given the competing claims for that water.  Hopefully our Council will proceed forthwith on the feasibility studies for a nearby reservoir as a potential palliative measure for some of our water concerns.

However, we also need to make conservation efforts to minimize the loss of scarce water resources that currently are frittered away, in many cases quite carelessly.  Recall the discussion here last spring and summer about establishing a water budget, and the comments, that I hope I recall correctly, to the effect that Seattle has grown dramatically while actually decreasing its water consumption fairly significantly.  Such conservation efforts make eminent sense here, and we ought to pursue them, too.

Bruce Livingston